Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italian 62nd Infantry

Carso

Hi all - this is my first post since recently joining this forum. I had family who fought in both the Italian and British armies in WWI. Attached is a photo of my great uncle (front row 1st left) with a group of other Italian soldiers. Their hats bear the number 62 so I'm guessing they were members of the 62nd Infantry Regiment? Does anyone know anything about the history of this unit during the war and any battles they were involved in? I also have a picture of him in his dress uniform which bears the same number on the hat which I will send separately due to size restrictions. I appreciate any information .

Many thanks and Merry Christmas

Rob

62Infphoto.pdf

Ciao Carso,

number 62 on the hat is really the number of the regiment where your uncle served in the italian army in WWI.

Regiment 61 and 62 constituted "Sicilia" brigade.

If you understand italian, here the diary of "Sicilia" brigade, that I found in the italian forum "cimeetrincee"

http://www.cimeetrincee.it/sicilia.pdf

If you don't understand something, please tell me, so I'll help you with my bad english...;-)

Grazie KIBE

I will do my best to read it but my Italian is limited and not as good as your English.

I will definately contact you for more information if I am stuck

Does the link record any famous battles that the 62nd fought in?

• 2 weeks later...

Page 176 -177 gives a breakdown of when the Brigade was in the line and when in a rear area, along with the sector they were in. It should be straightforward to cross reference those with battles. I think there are references to maps in the text but these are not supplied. This comes with the caveat that my Italian is often suboptimale.

• 5 months later...

Page 176 -177 gives a breakdown of when the Brigade was in the line and when in a rear area, along with the sector they were in. It should be straightforward to cross reference those with battles. I think there are references to maps in the text but these are not supplied. This comes with the caveat that my Italian is often suboptimale.

Heid the Ba

Thank you very much for the response - apologies for such a late response but I have been travelling. All the best Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Rob

I don't know how far you got with this but the short version is that from 24th April 1915 (essentially the start of the war) the 62nd was at the Trento Front in the area of Lake d'Idro to Lake Garda; after the May 1916 Austrian Offensives it was in the Brescia area and took part in the Italian Counter Offensives. In September 1916 it was sent to Salonica where it remained for the rest of the War.

The Italian placenames are a mixture of villages and hilltops so it isn't the easiest thing to find them all, but it is infinitely easier than trying to follow the Italian versions of the Balkan placenames.

I am happy to be corrected by anyone who reads Italian better than I do.

Regards

HtB