Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MG Images for viewing?

Mark Finneran

This is a really nice picture of a conversion to fire 7.92X57 of a smooth jacket first model, if you will, Russian M1910 Maxim. There are some iinteresting anomalies that I would like to point out, which I find quite distinctive and change the character of the posed soldiers.

The feedblock of the Russian Maxim, built to fire the 7.62X54R round, will only accept 7.92 if the forward inside wall is milled out sightly to allow the 7.92 round to pass through, and to allow the base of the cartridge to align correctly at the rear for pcik up by the lock extractor. An unmodified 1910 feedblock is slightly too short on the inside to pass the 7.92. Whether this has been done to this gun it is not possible to say. However, another question arises about the use of the muzzle gland picture assembled to the front endcap. The muzzle gland pictured appears to be the standard part used to support the barrrel, and to compress thewater seal packing in the MG08 when the standard booster is not used. There is a problem though. The standard MG08 gland of this type has a threaded section that is smaller in OD than the ID of the threaded hole in a 1910 front endcap and it will fall out if inserted into the cap of a 1910. Bear in mind that the 1910 7.62X54R barrel has a muzzle that is flared to 3/4" for boost purposes, whereas the MG08 barrel is 5/8" at the muzzle. The barrel in this gun is clearly an MG08 barrel as the muzzle threads can be seen as well as the evident smaller OD of the muzzle. The muzzle gland fitted, if a standard MG08 part, not only will fall out if inserted into the cap of the 1910, but the barrel will be misaligned since the hole will not be centered, and the packing will not work as the hole in the front endcap is for the 3/4" OD Russian barrel. The use of the MG08 endcap armor does help to align and center the muzzle gland, thereby alilgning the barrel. The alteration to 7.92 also requires that the MG08 recoil plate/crank assembly be used with the MG08 lock and barrel. the MG08 parts wil function perfectly in the receiver of a 1910. Further, the cocking handle knob of an MG08 is quite large, and the cocking handle knob in the picture looks very much in size like that of the Russian Maxim crank.

So, we are left with a number of questions about this gun and the nature of the group. Has the required gunsmithing been done to this gun to alter the endcap of the 1910 to reduce the muzzle bearing hole to 5/8" for the MG08 barrel and also to reduce the gland threaded hole to fit the MG08 muzzle gland? Has the feedblock been altered to fit the 7.92 round? Are the inernals MG08 parts? Has the sight ladder been altered to the 7.92 specs?

My suspicion is that the gun has not been altered and was set up for a photo op, using a belt of 7.92. We don't see the off side where the belt would exit, although it wouldn't tell us anything either, since we'd probably only see the belt tab. The 7.62X54R Russian 1910 Maxims that were converted by the Germans to 7.92 over quite a few years usually had an "S" rivetted to the top cover to indicate that they had been offically converted to fire the 7.92 "spiitzer" round, a necessary warning to any users for a variety of reasons. No "S" is evident on the gun.

That's my take on the gun in this pic. I've seen pictures of quite a few 1910s converted apparently to 7.92, some of which just don't look right, as in the case of this one, and others that do look right. I have seen a friend's 1905 Russian Maxim, with the brass fitments, converted to 7.92 and it had the "S" on the topcover, as well as some pics of others with the "S" warning.

Hope this is interesting and entertaining to readers. These vintage pictures are incredibly fascinating and always contain all sorts of interesting information!!

Bob Naess

Black River Militaria CII

USA

The British blockade created shortages of certain items in Germany during the war, leather being one. So during the war Germany adopted short boots (and puttees to match) as they required less leather to make (and also allowed them to make use of captured supplies from other countries). Seeing a mix of the two as the war progressed (and short boots becoming more predominant towards the end) is not unusual.

Thanks Andrew

Interesting answer. So it could be used as a clue when dating photographs.

• 2 weeks later...

I know zilch about machine guns, only having fired the Bren and the GPMG once or twice on ranges over the years. I was wondering if they cleared on to the man to the left but his position seemed to rule that out or he'd have a pile of very hot cases on top of his backside after a while. I wonder (just thinking out loud really) how long before the need to rake away the increasing pile of empty cases from underneath the gun. Just wondering about the logistics of using the gun.

I thought I would post a modern picture of spent cases piled up under a Maxim. This was only 3 or 4 belts we fired first hour of shooting. Had to crop my original picture to meet the 100k requirement.

Richardpost-53452-086609100 1295229415.jpg

Hi everyone,i'm a new member to the forum and a collector of WW1 militaria.The photos are superb,as i'm fortunate to own an'MG 08/15 . I was amazed at Mark s collection of 08, and 08/15's, superb

Providing the moderators are content, under 'Arms' may I offer a thread on MG Images? Could be any nationality from WWI but is always interesting to see what photographic images are around? Also great for a collector to identify correct accessories!! :thumbsup:

Mark

capmg10.jpg"]My link[/url]

Superb photo Mark

New Zealand Division, guns captured at Messines, displayed at Bailleul

post-49999-097220500 1295262985.jpg

Hi Wendy mac,just received your kind welcome message,i am looking forward to posting some pics of my collection, i collect all aspects and have been collecting 25 years.What is your particular area of interest? The photo of the New Zealand Division is superb, look forward to chatting to you

• 1 month later...

Wendy superb photo - gosh if only...a time machine and somebody else's cheque book!!

Mark

Hi Wendy mac,just received your kind welcome message,i am looking forward to posting some pics of my collection, i collect all aspects and have been collecting 25 years.What is your particular area of interest? The photo of the New Zealand Division is superb, look forward to chatting to you

• 2 months later...

Hi Deerhunter,

the soldier marked with the cross was 17 years old when kia

regards,

Cnock

Hi Deerhunter,

the soldier marked with the cross was 17 years old when kia

regards,

Cnock

And he does not look the youngest by far.

A question for the real experts.

In the picture at post #30, a LMG is partially visible in the low right side. Is it a Danish Madsen?

I'm infatuated with that one since when I found a fully loaded magazine on a battlefield....

I don't think so. Both weapons lying on the floor appear to be 08/15 Maxims. The right hand gun has a pistol grip and the Madsen did not have one.

Regards

TonyE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Restoring the balance from German to Brit - I thought someone may be interested in these Maxim mount drawings

No.1post-97-0-93667400-1331462340.jpg

Mike

Drawing No.2post-97-0-20922400-1331462446.jpg

No.3post-97-0-15403500-1331462523.jpg

Providing the moderators are content, under 'Arms' may I offer a thread on MG Images? Could be any nationality from WWI but is always interesting to see what photographic images are around? Also great for a collector to identify correct accessories!! :thumbsup:

Mark

capmg10.jpg"]My link[/url]

American 26th "Yankee" division. So named because every man in that division was from one of the 6 New England States, and that's as Yankee as Yankee gets.:thumbsup:

fesaa.jpg

protection for observation balloons

Cnock