Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Affairs Select Committee report on firearms control

peregrinvs

Hmmmm.....

Here we go again. This time I feel it will be pushed through. If nothing else think of the revenue the Govt would accrue.

In my interpretation WW1 bolt action rifles would not need to be re done as the pre 1995 spec has not changed. Neither would Maxims, Lewis's and Vickers as they are not sub machine guns or semi auto rifles? Owners of old spec Webleys would have to pay for work to be done.

The report only mentions sub machine guns, semi autos and revolvers.

At least its not a total ban?

TT

The government wouldn't make any money from it, but RFDs doing conversion work on pre-95 deacts, the Proof Houses certifying them and RFDs selling deacts under their new monopoly would.

I think a few things need clarifying about the recommendations on deacts:

- Does it apply to literally all pre-1995 deacts, or only those where the specification substantially changed? (SMGs and assault rifles)

- Is the 'requirement' to convert to the post-95 spec a condition of continued ownership or a condition of sale / transfer?

- As making it a condition of continued ownership effectively means forcing people to pay to damage and devalue their private property, will the government pay for the conversion work or pay compensation to owners? (I assume the legislation will be structured to avoid such a liability - as occurred with the ban of Brocock air cartridge guns)

- Does it mean that literally only RFDs will be able to sell deacts, or does it mean that all sales have to be conducted via an RFD?

Both of the recommendations are of course incentives to create a black market - a factor conspicuous by its absence from both this report and the 2009 consultation document on deacts.

As you say, at least it's not an outright ban although I think the main factor there is avoiding an enormous compensation bill rather than concerns about personal freedoms.

Mark

Mark,

Totally agree. As ever it will only hurt those who are law abiding and do nothing to prevent further tragedy.

TT

A polite reminder - this can only be discussed in as far as it relates to Great War weapons - and any political comment is not permitted

Thanks

Alan

How will it affect owners of Deac WW1 weapons? There isnt a current register of such weapons so if they are to be altered in any way will it be up to us to declare that we have them?

I certainly wont as i consider them mullered enough.

All my legal weapons are certified and i consider that to be enough.

Just a question but if it becomes a legal requirement to register said items, who on the forum would comply? Not me for sure.

Andy

How will it affect owners of Deac WW1 weapons?

Depends on the detail: if it's any pre-95, then in theory it'll affect any owner of a deact WWI firearm deactivated prior to October 1995. If it's only 'assault weapons' then only people with a pre-95 deact MP-18 or WWI semi-auto rifle would be affected, and I assume there are very few - if any - of those. More people will be affected if it also covers pre-95 deact WWI revolvers.

Restricting sales to RFDs will also affect deact WWI weapons, although again it depends how this works in practice.

So wait and see, although I'd be entirely unsurprised if this doesn't just quietly fizzle out like previous proposals to restrict deacts. There are circa 300K of them in the UK and they're all unregistered. Fingers crossed...

Mark

Just a question but if it becomes a legal requirement to register said items, who on the forum would comply? Not me for sure.

I suspect we'll be seeing ya in court then?

I suspect we'll be seeing ya in court then?

Why? You going to tell them? [lol]

Seriously, how the hell are they ever going to know whose got what? I certainly am not going to fill out any forms for them. The guy who came to check out my shotguns last year wasnt the slightest bit interested.

Andy

how the hell are they ever going to know whose got what?

They won't. Banning any type of deact would be largely unenforcable. There's the previous example of the 2004 ban on Brocock air-cartridge guns.

But the trouble there is that they'll therefore be extra-keen to find trangressors who they can make a public example of; pour encourager les autres.

Mark

Without taking this off topic re WW1 guns (may be more appropriate that this was in chit chat or skindles)? the way it would be enforced would be by chance....you have told all you have guns and now you have they could trace you if they wanted however it will be situation such as a burglary , fire, flood or snitch that would lead to discovery.

If legislation comes in I would advise all to declare and bite the bullet or sell up now if you are really worried!

Currently its five years mandatory tariff for illegal possesion of a section 1 firearm!

TT