Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Firing Weapons?

LesCroft

Does anyone know if there is a firing range in this country that has First World War weapons you can go and shoot? It's been a long time ambition of mine to know and feel what it was like for my relatives to use these weapons.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if there is a firing range in this country that has First World War weapons you can go and shoot? It's been a long time ambition of mine to know and feel what it was like for my relatives to use these weapons.

Thanks.

TonyE is your man for this. I believe he participates in a shoot at Bisley (annually?) where Great war vintage rifles are used.

Chris

Unfortunately due to the current Firearms Act in the UK, non-club members can only shoot on special guest days previously nominated to the police. The National Rifle Association have a couple of guest days per annum at Bisley in Surrey, and my organisation, the Historic Breech-loading Smallarms Association and the Lee-Enfield Rifle Association usually have WWI rifles available to shoot. The next one is in the spring. I will check the date and post it later on this thread.

Regards

TonyE

The next one is in the spring. I will check the date and post it later on this thread.

Regards

TonyE

me me me ME me ME me ME!!!

I trust you are sending that from France and that Mr.EuroStar was kind to you this morning!

I will put your name down, Dave.

Did you see my post on the foreign cheese thread?

Cheers

Tony

Edit: you obviously are and obviously did!

Tony

I predict many posts such as Dave's populating this thread so I will get in early and say that I too would be most interested in joining you at Bisley on this day. Last time I was there I was given free malt whisky; I guess this time I will have to go without :(

Andy

It is 30 years since I last fired a Lee-Enfield no. 4 (but more or less the same weapon as the SMLE used in WW1) in my school CCF: with cotton-wool stuffed in our ears we fired (alarmingly rusty-looking) .303 rounds into very distant targets (400 yards or more I think) at Crickhowell in Wales.

I was a very small 15 year old (I looked about 12 or 13) and about 5' 4", so perhaps the size of the smaller soldiers in the Great War, and the kick on the shoulder from the Lee-Enfield was an unpleasant surprise - like being punched quite hard in the shoulder by my big-brother, even though I pressed it firmly into my shoulder as firmly as I could, as instructed by the Sergeant, and I was bruised for days afterwards.

I have been left with a very vivid memory of the power of the weapon, and whilst I myself have no deep desire to fire one again, I would suggest that it would be a highly informative and valuable experience for Great War enthusiasts who haven't done so to have a go at firing one. Also working the bolt-action and stripping and cleaning the weapon if you get a chance would be highly instructive.

William (now 6'1" tall:))

I have been left with a very vivid memory of the power of the weapon, and whilst I myself have no deep desire to fire one again, I would suggest that it would be a highly informative and valuable experience for Great War enthusiasts who haven't done so to have a go at firing one.

There are all sorts of things about firing it that get to you. The kick soon becomes quite comfortable. The sight picture on the SMLE is not as good as the No.4 because you've an open rearsight to keep lined up, and in some lights the foresight between its protectors looks like a pig's bristle between cow horns.. .Then there's the hiss of the round passing downrange, and the crack as it passes overhead when you're butt marking. There are several smells, too - Rangoon Oil and 'Young's 303' cleaner, burnt cordite - which you don't forget. Even after 45 years of shooting, I still like to go back to my 1917 SMLE - doggy old bitsa though it may be. :D

Regards,

MikB

Did you see my post on the foreign cheese thread?

Everyone who has studied fig rolls realizes that Camembert cheese is obviously a continuation of Clausewitz by other methods.

I think the most impressive thing is the noise. As long as I have been shooting ear protection has been compulsory on rifle ranges and the odd shot that you fire at animals etc doesn't make much impression. Go to a big shoot where full bore rifles or automatic weapons are being used and take your ear muffs off for a couple of minutes! I am surprised anyone who went through those battles came out with their hearing intact. Let alone the gunners.

James

"I am surprised anyone who went through those battles came out with their hearing intact. Let alone the gunners."

I think that perhaps the effect on the hearing of being in one of the wars shows up later in life. For years I thought all old men went deaf as a matter of course because when I was a boy both of my grandfathers and some uncles and sundry other old men I knew were all deaf to some extent or other.

I now realise that all the ones I knew were in the Great War, WW2, or the Korean War, and I now know plenty of chaps in their 70s and 80s who didn't go to war and who have perfect hearing.

Perhaps there is a doctor on the Forum who is more qualified than me to coment?

William

Well, I am nearly 66 and have been firing full bore weapons since I was 15.

Back in the sixties nobody wore hearing protectors and I used to shoot twice per week in an old railway arch converted into a range. I used to shoot 9mm and 7.63mm and would leave there with my ears ringing. I also shot .303 rifle virtually every weekend at Bisley.

Now I am partially deaf and find the greatest difficulty filtering out background noise in pubs, trains and cars. My hearing consultant said that my hearing was " a disaster"!. A digital hearing aid helps slightly but I find it just makes a mush sound louder.

Regards

TonyE

Well, I am nearly 66 and have been firing full bore weapons since I was 15.

Back in the sixties nobody wore hearing protectors and I used to shoot twice per week in an old railway arch converted into a range. I used to shoot 9mm and 7.63mm and would leave there with my ears ringing. I also shot .303 rifle virtually every weekend at Bisley.

Now I am partially deaf and find the greatest difficulty filtering out background noise in pubs, trains and cars. My hearing consultant said that my hearing was " a disaster"!. A digital hearing aid helps slightly but I find it just makes a mush sound louder.

Regards

TonyE

So I'm not the only one, I started full in bore in 1950, 3 nights a week indoor ranges & Sat & Sun at Holcombe, tried hearing aids, but can't stand the tinny sounds they make, the biggest pleasure

I get from it is, I can't hear face ache's constant blather, so now she only speaks to me when its important.

Peace at last.

Retlaw.

Now I am partially deaf and find the greatest difficulty filtering out background noise in pubs, trains and cars.

Regards

TonyE

Me, I'm a mere stripling of 60 - I started fullbore rifle in 1964, and they were just starting to insist on cottonwool-and-vaseline in the ears. But I didn't start indoor range shooting of fullbore handguns till the '80s, and by that time proper hearing protection was very much de rigueur.

I seem to've lost more hearing on the left-hand side, when I've always shot right-handed. I too find it hard work holding a conversation in a pub or other noisy background, but I'm not much troubled by tinnitus or the like. My missus says I'm going deafer, but I just say 'Wha...?" :D

Regards,

MikB

This sounds great for me then, due to a migraine condition I've already lost 90% of my hearing in my right ear and have 24 hour tinnitus!

I really feel for you guys over there with your inability to shoot on a regular basis. If any of you are over here on this side of the pond, look me up and we will shoot some of my "old military junk", as my Dad calls it.......However, you guys are close to the history of the Great War and I envy that.....chris3

There is no problem about shooting on a regular basis in the UK, provided one belongs to a Home Office approved club. I agree that may be difficult for people living in some parts of the country that are not within easy reach of a full bore range, but that is a logistic rather than a legislative problem.

It does require a certain dedication to go through the probationary period and then the bureaucracy of obtaining ones own Firearms Certificate but it is well worth it.

Regards

TonyE

I'd quite like to have an FAC and own rifles, take my interest a step further,I am trying to locate a gun club in my area, most seem to deal with small bore, rimfire or black powder.

I'm quite lucky as Sennybridge is only an hour away but finding a club is proving difficult.

Gaz

Me, I'm a mere stripling of 60 - I started fullbore rifle in 1964, and they were just starting to insist on cottonwool-and-vaseline in the ears. But I didn't start indoor range shooting of fullbore handguns till the '80s, and by that time proper hearing protection was very much de rigueur.

I seem to've lost more hearing on the left-hand side, when I've always shot right-handed. I too find it hard work holding a conversation in a pub or other noisy background, but I'm not much troubled by tinnitus or the like. My missus says I'm going deafer, but I just say 'Wha...?" :D

Regards,

MikB

Old soldier goesto GP with hearing problem

Doc ive got gunners ear"

octor "drop your trousers and i'll take a look"

old soldier "you must have it too"