Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Mausers

TonyE

I am researching the production of Belgian munitions in the UK, particularly Mausers at the Greener works in Bagot Street, Birmingham. (like I need another project?)

I have quite a lot of information but any help from Pals would be appreciated. Any contemporary references in local documents for example?

I am also interested in the Belgian workers at the National Projectile Factory at Birtley and the Elizabethville village. I know there was a thread about this some time ago but I could not find it.

Regards

TonyE

Hopkins & Allen gunmakers of Norwich Conn made a number of these Mausers (1889) for the Belgian government after the

the FN plant in Liege was overrun by the Germans.

Another question would be did the Germans use the FN plant to turn out Mauser rifles for their army?

Considering the shortage of small arms probably not overlook this source - also was the caliber 7.65 or 7.92?

Tony

I have nothing to add that is not drawn from widely available sources which I am sure you have referenced, however; one observation would be that these seem to be remarkably rare items these days - a Belgian Mauser of any WWI variation has entirely eluded me, and remains the last major WWI infantry rifle missing from my collection. I think I have seen two in the past decade and both were well out of my price range. I suspect this means production numbers were low and also large numbers were later (inter war) converted to other configurations...if you turn up any info on these aspects I would be very interested in it.

Cheers

Chris

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?24-John-P.-Sheehan-s-World-War-I-Militaria-And-Arms

I suggest you go here and post as JPS is on the ball with this era , and as well John Wall frequents this website and is another fountain of knowledge.

Thanks for that, I will do that as I already inhabit Gunboards.

Chris - I already have a fair bit of info about the Greener factory at the Tower Works in Bagot Street and have located some pictures taken inside when the Belgian Mausers were being made. There is still a lot to find out though, and it will eventually become a chapter in a book being written about the Belgian Mauser in its entirety.

Regards

TonyE

Tony

Is that book coming out next year 2011 because i would be very interested in it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Pat