Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WO 95/2141 21st Divisional Cyclist Company 1915 Sept. - 1916 Jan

micrapete

Hi, first post.

I am researching my great grandfather who died in November 1915, and was part of the 21st divisional cycle company

I would like to find if possible the war diaries for this regiment. Does anyone have a copy / know someone who might?

If not a trip to Kew may be in order, but being a Yorkshireman is a fair trip.

I would be happy to purchase if required, but any assistance would be very appreciated

Thank you

Hello,

I have copies of the diary. As is my experience with these type of units (support units) the war diary is not very informative. It is also in pencil and my camera has some problems picking out the words but I will see what we can sort out.

Was your relative an officer or a ranker? It rarely mentions other ranks in war diary entries so there may not be a mention of him as such but it will say what they were about. 21st division had been moved to the Armentieres region after their disastrous entry in to the war at Loos in September 1915. They were essentially learning the trade of trench warfare at the time you mention, so it is probable that he was killed in 'normal' trench artillery exchanges etc.

Let me know what you want

Regards

Arm

Hi Arm

He was indeed a 'ranker' he died 22nd November 1915, I understand that the diaries can be limited and ranks are rarely mentioned. What I would like is know roughly where (geographically) he may have been located and what (if anything) was happening on that day.

I am planning a trip to Kew for further research, but if anything is available I would be very appreciative.

Thank you for the replies

Send me a PM with e-mail address and I will send you some information.

Regards

Arm

It is likely to be you. I think you need a certain amount of posts to qualify to send PM's. Not sure if its 10.

Have sent a message to you, see if that works.

Regards

Arm

• 2 weeks later...

Pete sorry,

Been working since boxing day and knackered when I get home. Will look at it over the next few days and get something to you. Poss Tuesday as I have a day off then.

Sorry for the delay

Andy

Pete,

Haven't forgotten, just having problems with hard drives and computer. I need to search through stuff. I will get to it honest!!

Regards

Andy

Finally something on its way to you.

Sorry for the delay.

Regards

Arm