Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of tank selling war bonds 1916

P.Rhodes

Hello friends,

I hope I'm in the right forum,

I think the attached photo of a tank in the centre of Sheffield in 1916 might be of interest to someone so here it is. The photo belonged to my father when he was 12 years old, the date is written on the reverse.

The location is Fitzalan Square.

post-60743-034026100 1292760950.jpg

Peter

Hi Peter,

The tank is one of those used to raise money for the war effort. It was 130 Nelson and was in Sheffield in December 1917

Tanks3

Leaving on 16th December 1917 to travel to Bristol, perhaps thats were the 16 in the date on the back comes from?

Excellent image Peter, there are quite a few others knocking about the local studies.

I have this amongst many others,apologies for the quality.

Dean.

post-17978-016377600 1292837067.jpg

I have a few of these as well.

post-17978-040549200 1292837251.jpg

Dean.

Dean,

I am very impressed and interested at the image of the "poster" you have shown. Do you have more and could you PM or send copies to me? I will be only too happy to let you have any expenses you incur.

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Tanks3, these were advertisements in the Sheffield Independent newspaper. I have about half a dozen and some more Tank/War Bonds stuff. You can have the lot. Pm me your email addy and i'll get them off to you later today.

regards

Dean.

Leaving on 16th December 1917 to travel to Bristol, perhaps thats were the 16 in the date on the back comes from?

Thanks Tanks3 and centurian, The date my father wrote on the reverse of the picture is 1916, he obviously got it wrong so thanks for the correction.

I'm glad it got a response and wonder if there are more photo's of the tank in other cities.

Dean1, good to see the poster.

Nelson in Norwich

post-9885-022964800 1292950585.jpg

Julian? Edit Old Bill 119 in Holborne (by the Pru) and Nelson in Trafagar Square again

post-9885-074510700 1292950669.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Out of intrest how was the tank moved between towns and citys?

I understand how it went from factory to front line. However would all towns have the faclity to unload from a train station, something the size of a tank? Or did this influance the towms and citys involved?

As you have surmised the tanks went by rail (I enclose a photo of Julian one of the other touring tanks on its train.). Initially they were loaded on 'ordinary' low loaders , driving on from a ramp at the rear of the low loader. Later specially designed trank transporter railway wagons were used - these allowed side load driving on from a parallel platform. No cranes etc were needed and most freight sidings could handle it.

post-9885-036447000 1294340919.jpg

A good example of post card producers "recycling" a tank photo. The same shot is used on a card celebrating the return home of a VC winner in South Wales. I think its actually Merthyr Tydfil's tank bank but it also appears on a card as Blackpools tank bank

Thank you for the enlightenment there Centurion. Baffeld me for a long time how tanks moved about UK outside of military areas.

The card would be for Sgt John Collins and his return to Merthyr Tydfil. Not sure where that actual picture was taken(so could be Blackpool?) as it does not resemble anywhere I know of in Merthyr.

Thank you for the enlightenment there Centurion. Baffeld me for a long time how tanks moved about UK outside of military areas.

The card would be for Sgt John Collins and his return to Merthyr Tydfil. Not sure where that actual picture was taken(so could be Blackpool?) as it does not resemble anywhere I know of in Merthyr.

That's correct but the site does not match any of the other photos of Julian in Blackpool. Julian does appear to have visited Merthyr Tydfil (along with a large number of other S Wales towns). I was given to understand that the photo in question was on a terrace by the house in Cyfarthfa Park. The Park was also where the presentation tank ended up.

Hi Centurion, another Sheffield tank,

post-17978-032867800 1294478480.jpg

this was 'parked' in Ecclsall woods in the 1920's here in Sheffield. I've no idea where it went to, its not there now!

Dean.

I suspect that is Sheffield's presentation tank. All the Tank Banks were male. All but a handful of the presentation tanks had been scrapped by 1945 and now (depending on how you define presentation) there are only two left

This pic was taken sometime during 1917, could this also be the tank 'Julian' on Albion Square, Pembroke Dock? Remarkably everyone in the pic appears to be wearing a hat.

Jon

post-15439-083244400 1294532437.jpg

This pic was taken sometime during 1917, could this also be the tank 'Julian' on Albion Square, Pembroke Dock? Remarkably everyone in the pic appears to be wearing a hat.

Jon

Tank weeks and similar did not start until winter 1917 - all those hats are summer hats. Therefore I would suspect 1918 not 1917. Dates for other tank weeks in South Wales towns run from May to August 1918