Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Little Help With an RFC Cap and Goggles

RAF_Louvert

Greetings All,

I have purchased what was indicated by the seller to be an original RFC flying cap along with an old set of goggles that may or may not be from the same time period. Here are a few photos of each.

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_01.jpg

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_02.jpg

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_05.jpg

These came from a Shaw family in England who claimed to have had the cap in their possession since WWI as it belonged to one of their relatives who was an RFC flyer, (though they offered no more information than that). The goggles they said were kept with the cap but were not sure if they had been used by the same relative who wore the cap during the War. Both items are in excellent condition and appear to be about right in terms of style, details and construction, but I am not an expert when it comes to these. Any help, information and/or guidance will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Lou

Here are a few more picures of these items.

Detail showing the stamp on the goggles:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_04.jpg

Detail showing the blanket liner and ear hole stitching on the cap:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_06.jpg

Detail of one of the snaps on the ear covers of the cap:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_07.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Hello Andrew,

Yes, that is the set I purchased and I have contacted the seller for any further information he might have on these. I posted here in hopes that there may be those who have similar items in their collection and can tell me more about when they where made and if they look like they are indeed from the Great War era. Thanks.

Lou

I think I would have researched it properly before forking out $300 on ebay on a tall-tale!!!It is not known for the originality of many items as the previous thread illustrates.

Dave, thank you for your kind offer of assistance Sir. If I get enough to go on I may well take you up on it.

Max, apologies for not providing more background on the purchase of these items. Allow me to elaborate now. I already know that the cap and goggles are quite old, likely no more recent than the early 1930's at best, I just don't know for sure if they are from the Great War. The style and design of both have definitely been seen in numerous old photos of WWI pilots with their gear, plus the logo on the original box for the goggles stops showing up in old adverts right around the end of the 1920's. As to the $300 price, I had already determined that to me they were both well worth that even if they were not from the Great War itself as they are in excellent condition and will display nicely in my little gathering of WWI aviation items and books. Furthur, the gentleman who sold them on eBay is a collector himself and was very forthcoming with any and all information he had on these, and after numerous emails back and forth I trust him. And finally, these are actually a Christmas gift from my lovely wife, who went onto my eBay watch list and bought them for me as we were sharing our morning coffee this last weekend, (she's a wonderful woman and far better than I deserve), so again they don't have to be original WWI items to have meaning for me. All that being said, I came here in the hopes of finding an expert or two who could give me a better idea of the exact age of these and what the likelihood is that they are as indicated and indeed from the Great War.

Hope this helps, and thanks again all for the comments thus far.

Cheers, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Lou