Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 Bn Welsh Regiment war diary (1 June 1916 to 31 March 1918)

cmjones

Hi,

On a visit to the UK earlier this year, I obtained a copy of the war diary for the 6 Bn Welsh Regiment. It covers 1 June 1916 to 31 March 1918. I have just finished transcribing it and am happy to do look ups for folk.

I created a list of names included in the diary and thought I would post them here. Does anyone see a problem with that? Would it be in breach of something?

I wasn't able to find anything before the 1 June. Does anyone have a copy of the 6Bn war diary before this time or know of it's existence?

Cheers

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

With regard to your questions I would say the following:-

1) If you have transcribed the war diary I assume that you got the details from the National Archives in London Kew. If that is the case you can always copy the results on there site an example is here:-

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=ADM_1/30342

To do this you need to :-

a) go to the the ntional archives site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm)

B) then sign up for "MY Archives" then got to the The refernce site of the war dairy an then copy the data there :-)

So The answer is to you 1st question yes you can

Question 2

The existence of the anything before 1 June I cant answer but if its not there it could be that they war not on active service then but i don't know the details

OR

it could be a lot of the documents MAY be in with the "Battalion" records in Kew. I have been search the 9th Royal Welsh Fusiliers and found masses of information hidden away their. This was a real gold mine. As I think your the other side of the world not sure if that much help

If you need any other info drop me a line at Email me

All the best

Rob :poppy:

Hi,

On a visit to the UK earlier this year, I obtained a copy of the war diary for the 6 Bn Welsh Regiment. It covers 1 June 1916 to 31 March 1918. I have just finished transcribing it and am happy to do look ups for folk.

I created a list of names included in the diary and thought I would post them here. Does anyone see a problem with that? Would it be in breach of something?

I wasn't able to find anything before the 1 June. Does anyone have a copy of the 6Bn war diary before this time or know of it's existence?

Cheers

Carolyn

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tip about the "My Archives" feature on the National Archives site. An officialy sanctioned way of doing things is always the best way to go.

I am the other side of the world so popping into the Archives is not an option, but I will have another go at searching the Catalogue and Documents online and see if I can find anything else. I have also requested my grandfather's service record from the Army Personnel Centre so that may help to resolve some unanswered questions. There is currently a six to nine month wait so I will just have to be patient!

Thanks for your assistance.

Carolyn

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to putting my transcription of the war diary up onto TNA's Your Archive site. I had to split it into three parts. They are:

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=WW1_War_Dairy_6_%28Pioneer%29_Battalion_Welsh_Regiment_-_1916_June_-_1916_Aug..

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=WW1_War_Dairy_6_%28Pioneer%29_Battalion_Welsh_Regiment_-_1916_Sept._-_1916_Dec.

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=WW1_War_Dairy_6_%28Pioneer%29_Battalion_Welsh_Regiment_-_1917_Jan._-_1918_Mar.

Bernard, feel free to add the links to your page if you wish to do so.

A question - the war diary has Capt J T Davies admitted to hospital on 15 July 1917. In the entry for August 1917 the diary has "Capt J T Davies pronounced "PB" & struck off strength 10th". What is meant by pronounced "PB"? He is not one of my family, but I am interested to know what happened to him.

Thanks

Carolyn

Well done with the transcription of the Battalion diary.

I cant help you with Capt Davies' PB, but he survived the war.

The 6th Welch (Welsh) were overseas from 29 October 1914. At the National Archives, Kew there is not a complete run of battalion diaries for the Great War, but they hold diaries for the following:

WO 95/2277 July 1915-October 1915

WO 95/ 1282 November 1915-May 1916

WO 95/ 1256 June 1916- August 1919 (the section that you have transcribed)

Moriaty

PS what is your interest in the 6th Welch?

Glad to hear Capt Davies survived the war. Friends with Army connections wondered if PB meant partially blind. The diary doesn't indicate why he went to hospital.

My grandfather, Henry Benjamin Jones served in the 6th Welsh. The Army List has him commissioned in the 4th Welsh, but he seems to have spent his time in the 6th. He was wounded on 12 November 1917 and sent back home to recover.

I need to look at WO 95/ 1282 November 1915-May 1916 as he was commissioned 11th January 1916 and I am keen to see if he went straight to the 6th Welsh or not. He spent some time at school in France so spoke French and family lore has him seconded to a French General for a while. I have found no proof of this so far. We do know he didn't go to Gallipoli, etc at all with the 4th though his uncle, Lt Col William Bramwell Jones did. It is a pity the war diary is not online. I live in Austrlalia so it is on my list of things to look at should I be in the UK sometime.

Carolyn