Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French 'Melanit' Hand Grenades

Jack Sheldon

I am just translating out of a German a captured French document of early 1915 which mentions 'Melanit' hand grenades. These were to be used to cut wire during infantry attacks,so I assume that they must have been fairly powerful. Can anybody tell me anything about them?

Jack

from an article by Patrick Delhomme and Rbert Yuille called 'Les Grenades Francaises de la Grande Guerre' in the Gazette des Armes nr.49 (May 1977)...

dave

post-357-065922300 1292585025.jpg

post-357-019802100 1292585259.jpg

Jack

Melanite was a picric acid based explosive, the French equivalent of Lyddite. Used widely for projectile filling. I would think that the grenades mentioned were made up charges, similar to, or an enlargement of, the grenades shown in the Delhomme aticles that Dave cites above.

Mike

Thank you all for the information. Armed with the earlier tips, I had just reached picric acid myself via Google. Well you learn something every day. I rather suspect that, given the timeframe (Feb 15), the improvised hairbrush grenades were what was meant, though it is not really possible to tell from the original Melinithandgranaten

It gives me enough for a footnote, which is the main thing.

Jack

Jack

Melanite was a picric acid based explosive, the French equivalent of Lyddite. Used widely for projectile filling. I would think that the grenades mentioned were made up charges, similar to, or an enlargement of, the grenades shown in the Delhomme aticles that Dave cites above.

Mike

Also known as Cheddite

Melinite (not melanite) was not the same as Cheddite, as evidenced in the French text provided by Croonaert - "...comportant 2 cartouches de melinite ou de cheddite". The end result, however, was the same.

Robert

You are correct of course Robert. I have just been looking up Cheddite which has taken me off on a voyage of discovery to the village of Chedde in Haute Savoie where making it as a general blasting explosive, primarily for quarrying, seems to have kicked off as a cottage industry. It is astonishing where simple queries lead sometimes.

Jack

On first read I saw cheddar and marmite. Must still be hungry. :)

Very interesting thread. I had not heard of such devices before. I am assuming they would not leave anything behind (of the original device) once detinated?

-Daniel