Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone fancy a "hookie"

shippingsteel

I bet everyone will have one of THESE little beauties on their Christmas wish list ....... :whistle:

Better start dropping those hints to the better half right now ...... (going cheap for a limited time, grab 'em while they last folks.!!)

Cheers, S>S

Beware ofthis lads. As a welder I see straightaway that the cross guard has been fuse-welded to the blade. TIG welding was not about in ww1

Is this a mongrel? Doesn't look pure-bred to me. Antony

1919 Lithgow with a hook and ER cypher?

Oh, definitely genuine!

Regards

TonyE

I see I'm not the only purveyor of sarcasm :whistle: Cheers, Antony.

The idea of the hook was that when one parried one's opponent's bayonet thrust, his blade ran down your blade and theoretically was caught in the hook, when with a quick twist of one's rifle he was disarmed!

Unfortunately it was found that the only things that were caught were one's own items of clothing and equipment, so they were ordered removed in 1913.

Regards

TonyE

Could someone please remind me what the hook was originally for, and why they were removed.

Seemed like a good idea at the time ..... but actually just copied straight from the Japanese pattern bayonet that emerged as most successful from the bayonet trials that were undertaken at the time. I believe the design of the hook was initially seen as being useful in snagging an enemies weapon and allowing it to be stripped from his grasp entirely. As it turned out it was good for snagging on just about everything else as well.! Was soon found to be less than a good idea in practice and in 1913 they began to be made without the hook, and those already in service began to gradually have their hooks removed.

Cheers, S>S

EDIT. Hey, at least we agree on something TonyE. :D

Hey, at least we agree on something TonyE. :D

You must be thinking of somebody else, SS! I have never disgreed with anyone, I am much too sweet natured to ever do a thing like that! :innocent:

Cheers

TonyE