Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jennison not on cwgc or sdgw

RaySearching

possible non - commemoration or not

Hi All

I have been assisting my Internet friend Bill Danby research this soldier Fred /Fredrick Jennison

Bill is currently adding the 5th Yorks Bn To His 4th Yorks Website

Here is a transcript from the Annals of Bridlington

Jennison Pte 5th Yorks 1861 240395

Jennison, Fred, Pte, 5th Bn Yorks Regt. 27.5.1918.

Annals of Bridlington, May 28, 1915. Bridlington men at the front. Private Fred Jennison, 5th Battalion A.P.W.O. Yorks Regiment. He has just returned home from the front after having passed through a terrible experience in France and Belgium. He is making wonderful recovery from three wounds received in the great battle near Ypres, about April 26. Some details of his experience at the Front will be found in another column.

Annals of Bridlington, June 4, 1915. Bridlington soldier's life saved by a testament. This little pocket testament, presented to Pte Fred Jennison, of the 5th Yorks Regiment, son of Mr and Mrs G. T. Jennison, 2 Beck Hill, Bridlington, was carried in his left breast pocket. When a German bullet struck him on April 25, it passed through a leather strap, his overcoat, tunic, several letters, and pierced 432 pages of the little yellow pocket testament. He will prize the book as long as he lives. (Photo)

Annals of Bridlington, 1918. "Bridlington casualties. Second wound proves fatal. The sad news has reached Mrs F. Jennison, Fairfield Road, that her husband, Pte Fred Jennison, Yorkshire Regiment, was killed on May 27. He was a son of Mr and Mrs Jennison, Beck Hill, and had been in the Army for four years. He had been in France more than two years and was wounded at Hill 60 in 1915, when the bullet went through his pocket testament. The deceased brother, Pte L. Jennison, Yorkshire Regiment, has been in France two years and has now left for another theatre. His sister is in the WAAC. Pte Jennison last year, when on convalescent leave, was married to Miss Hannah Leppington, and in her bereavement, as in that of the gallant soldier's father and mother, much sympathy will be felt. The soldier's young widow, with her one-year-old infant daughter, lives at 1 Moorfield Road. The death has now been officially notified. Captain and Adjutant Saltanstall (an old Bridlington boy himself) has written a letter to the bereaved mother expressing his sympathy."

interesting story but is it True

despite every permutation of his name i can think of ,I cannot Find Fred Jennison on SDGW or on the CWGC

Could Fred have been reported Missing / Killed only to turn up alive later on

Or is he a possible non Commemoration

or hiding on the cwgc somewhere

would it be possible for a Kind forum member to look up Fred Jennison on the overseas Death Indexes

to see if he was actually KIA

Confirmation of name and address from 1901 census

5257553990_220a724511_b.jpg

and his medal card

5257547052_c355c14e94.jpg

Kind regards Ray

If he is the chap shown on the medal index card he was discharged and appears on the roll of the Silver War Badge: he is not the man as described in the article, unless as you say he was initially believed dead and was found alive at some point after 27 May.

There is no Fred Jennison in the index of army other ranks war death registrations.

Curious, eh?

Hello Ray,

According to the England and Wales Death Index, a Frederick Jennisin died at Buckrose, Yorkshire East Riding, in the first quarter of 1938. He was 44 years old, and this would tie in with his age on the census form included in your post. In addition, there appears to be only 1 Frederick Jennison who was born in 1893, and this was in Bridlington.

A search of the local papers of 1938 may confirm if this is your man, as will a copy of the death certificate.

Regards,

Alf McM

There is also the birth of a John F JENNISON with mother's maiden name LEPPINGTON in Bridlington in Q1 1923.

Perhaps Frederick Jennison returned from captivity after the war?

Adrian

he is not the man as described in the article, unless as you say he was initially believed dead and was found alive at some point after 27 May.

Jeff's Search Engine does show a number of men of the 5th Yorks killed on the 25th May '18; so possibly he was mistakenly reported as killed, or taken prisoner. However, if this was the case, I would have thought that the joyous news that he had subsequently been found to be alive would have made the local press, particularly as his death and the Bible story had already been featured, in a big way. So possibly a further trawl through local papers over later months (even years) - if available - might shed some further light on the matter.

NigelS

Thanks Chris Alf Adrian and Nigel

For your valued replies it appears that Fred was possibly wounded sent to a field hospital for treatment lost and reported missing during the chaos of war and presumed Kia and reported as such

As he was then discharged no longer fit for military service (Silver war Badge) leads me to believe that he was not captured by the enemy and taken as a pow as suggested

thanks for the input regards Ray

edit I think it was Mark Twain who said My death has been greatly exaggerated Fred could have used this quote when he arrived home

incidentally his Brother 240449 Leonard Jennison who is on the 1901 census and mentioned in the newspaper report along with his brother Fred died in OCT 1918 with the 1st Bn Yorks Regiment in India

Leonard having previously served with the 5th Bn in France

regards Ray

Ray

Is Leonard commemorated on CWGC? I did a quick search and he doesn't appear to be, not under Jennison at any rate. He does have an entry in the Army Overseas Deaths index though (1918 I.34 3), unlike Fred.

Regards

Steve

Hi Skipman

Yes Thats Him slight spelling error on Cwgc an extra n

his medal card has correct spelling

ray

would it be possible for a Kind forum member to look up Fred Jennison on the overseas Death Indexes

to see if he was actually KIA

Ray

Checked and no mention.

John

Ray

Have you come across the entry for Leonard on this page Click which gives: Shown in the CWGC register as "L Jenninson. Not shown in GH Gazette d/b, though there is an "F Jennison, 240395" shown as kia (my emboldening) but no further information. I would guess that 'GH Gazette' is the Green Howards Gazette (?)

There is also a mention of Fred on the 'J' page of the BRIDLINGTON & AREA WW1 ROLL OF HONOUR Click which gives 'wounded', unfortunately, although the complete roll appears to be accessable it appears to have becomed divorced from the home page, so what 'BFP' stands for and possibly other useful information isn't readily available.

NigelS

Ray

Have you come across the entry for Leonard on this page Click which gives: Shown in the CWGC register as "L Jenninson. Not shown in GH Gazette d/b, though there is an "F Jennison, 240395" shown as kia (my emboldening) but no further information. I would guess that 'GH Gazette' is the Green Howards Gazette (?)

There is also a mention of Fred on the 'J' page of the BRIDLINGTON & AREA WW1 ROLL OF HONOUR Click which gives 'wounded', unfortunately, although the complete roll appears to be accessable it appears to have becomed divorced from the home page, so what 'BFP' stands for and possibly other useful information isn't readily available.

NigelS

Hi Nigels I had checked out both sites prior to posting Ed Nichols site was one of my first ports of call

thanks for taking the time to follow in my footsteps or so to speak

Kind regards Ray

Reported as killed in action, or died of wounds, and surviving, such events are not uncommon.

George Booth of Oswaldtwistle, reported in the local news papers complete with photograph,

died of wounds in April 1917. George spent 10 months in hospital, eventually returned to his

unit, and was demobbed in January 1919.

His survival was never reported in the papers, and some clown added his name to the list

being compiled for the war memorial in 1922, same thing happened again in 2009 when they added

new plaque's to the memorial.

Retlaw.

Guest John Moore

I'm currently researching Bridlington's war dead & as such have read Bill's site with interest. I have, however, noticed some omissions & cases where I have a bit more information. I'd be happy to share if he's interested?

Also, according to the Bridlington Annals, Leonard Jennison enlisted in August 1914, was invalided to an Irish hospital suffering from Trench foot, having spent the last 4 months in the line at the Somme (so presumably late 1916, early 1917) & was later sent to India where he succumbed to Influenza.

Hi John

thanks for the additional Information

I am sure Bill Will be delighted to receive any additional information regarding the 5th yorks bn

as you are unable to use the PM system until you have made a certain number of posts Please Contact me direct

My E mail address is (my forum name ) @yahoo.co.uk

Kind Regards Ray

Thanks For posting the Photo Joseph

Looking at the rather faded Photo there appears to be a outline of a patch with the number 3 and a faded 9

which could suggest this may be a photo of jennings as a Pow " opinions Sought" if not a pow patch what could the number 3 Be on his Breast

Ray

Thanks Charles

a very simple explanation

I shall now retire to a dark corner and die from embarrassment

Ray

• 10 months later...

There is also the birth of a John F JENNISON with mother's maiden name LEPPINGTON in Bridlington in Q1 1923.

Perhaps Frederick Jennison returned from captivity after the war?

Adrian

11 months after starting this thread

Adrian's suggestion that Frederick returned from captivity after the war has turned out to be correct

Whilst researching Thomas Lyon who was taken as a Prisoner of war on the 27th /5 1918 (and Survived)

the same day as Frederick Jennison was reported as killed in action

It transpires that Fred and Thomas enlisted on the same day, were taken prisoner on the same day ( Frederick incorrectly reported as have been killed in action ), released from captivity at the same time

and given sequential silver war badge numbers

here is the evidence

6353704397_f4186ee1a3_b.jpg

Case closed

regards Ray