Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Staffordshire Regiment

GraemeClarke

Gents,

Can someone please post the War Diary for the 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

for Sunday 30 January 1916.

Much appreciated,

Regards,

Graeme

Sorry Graeme, just picked this one up. Here you go:

GIVENCHY

28th At 5.55 a.m. we exploded successfully a mine in front of ‘I’ and ‘K’ Saps which it is thought caused considerable damage to the enemy. We sustained no casualties but our front line was considerably filled in with debris.

About 10 a.m. a bombardment on the VILLAGE LINE with H.E. and shrapnel in which guns of all calibres up to 5.9” partook. Our artillery replied most vigorously with excellent results. The bombardment continued intermittently until about 4 p.m. Subsequently we heard that the enemy had made a bombing attack further south near HOHENZOLLERN REDOUBT which was annihilated.

During the afternoon 2/Lieut A.F.V.A. TREVARTHEN was killed by a trench-mortar bomb. This officer had been attached to the 2/2 Trench Mortar Battery for 6 months.

The night of the 28/29 was quite calm in front of the Battalion though there was considerable artillery activity at other points further south along the line. No. 7241 C.S.M. W. JARDINE was killed during the night whilst extinguishing a fire in a dug-out.

29th The day was rather foggy, and nothing unusual occurred.

During the evening orders were received from 6th Brigade to relieve 1st Hertfordshire Regt. (T.F.) in the Support Area on the following day.

30th There was a thick mist throughout the whole day. All was quiet and a great number of patrols were sent out between the lines.

Towards 5 p.m. a German patrol of about 6 men was observed by the Lewis Gun Section coming towards them through the fog. They were fired upon and several thought to be hit.

At about 4.45 p.m. the relief of the Battalion by the 17th Middlesex Regt. was commenced and was completed at 7 p.m. The Battalion then occupied Keeps and billets in the Support Area. The night of 30th / 31st was quiet in front of this section of the line, although heavy bombardment was heard some miles to the south.

31st The day was quiet.

Although the night was broken by small bursts of rapid firing nothing unusual occurred.

Roy

Roy,

Many thanks for that.

I have visited the Staffs Museum many times and was amazed to find I did not have anything covering this date. I didn't really want to go back for just one date, many thanks again.

I was 'fiddling' with the Walsall RoH and found about another 25 men from Walsall who are NOT on the RoH (that makes 273 to date).

Regards,

Graeme

Roy,

Even better, It was Wallace Jardine I was looking at !!

The CWGC gives his date of death as the 30th.

Once again, many thanks,

Graeme

All part of the service - glad to be of help.

Roy