Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

beginers question time !

petey

hi all,,,some simple questions from a beginear /hoarder..........ive been collecting since i was a kid used to pick a couple up for a few pounds... stoped and started again. q 1 . does cleaning a medal de value it ? [ old soldiers always polished there medals ] q2 .erased named medals, [ are they worth there weight ] q3. how far do you go to into research, [ ive only gone as far as medal index cards ] q4..beaing a magpie and hoarder ive decided to concentrate in one area, cant decide what ! q5 ww2 medals are cheap,but far harder to research, are they worth it ? sory lots of sily questions from a beginer.

hi all,,,some simple questions from a beginear /hoarder..........ive been collecting since i was a kid used to pick a couple up for a few pounds... stoped and started again. q 1 . does cleaning a medal de value it ? [ old soldiers always polished there medals ] q2 .erased named medals, [ are they worth there weight ] q3. how far do you go to into research, [ ive only gone as far as medal index cards ] q4..beaing a magpie and hoarder ive decided to concentrate in one area, cant decide what ! q5 ww2 medals are cheap,but far harder to research, are they worth it ? sory lots of sily questions from a beginer.

Personally i would never buy medals with an erased name, the identity of the receipient has been erased for a reason? ask yourself why? it's wrong,immoral. :angry2:

Over polishing [as opposed to gentle "cleaning"} Medals will have a detrimental effect on the Medal itself,wearing of the high relief,etc,there is less negativity to polished medals than to other forms of Collectable,where condition is paramount,Medals after all were made to be worn.however the "price" rather than the value may be affected by wear to the medal {depending of course on other factors}Reasearch is a personal thing I try to research as much about the recipient as I can,from birth to death & all the bits in between,sometimes it is possible & you get snowed under in documentation,pictures,etc; other times you run into a Brick Wall & just the MiC has to suffice,generally unless one is purely interested in a purely Numismatic Collection of Medals,research becomes addictive & you cannot stop!!WW2 Medals are unamed unless accompanied by a LSGC Gallantry or similar named medal,or still are with Boxes & Issue slips etc,thus they can be a bit non descript but if you are selective an interesting Collection that includes WW2 can be formed.Primarily it would be prudent to forget "Monetary" value with regard to Medal Collecting,collect that that interests you,without looking for the "Value",equate it rather with any other commodity you dont expect to get a return on your Groceries,or a Car,etc;you buy them to survive,use & have an enjoyable life,same goes for Medals,buy them to enjoy them ~~~~If at the end of your collecting days they earn you a few pounds so much the better,but dont make it the be all & end all. :poppy::blush:

Cleaning medals is up to the collector. I don't think they add or lower the value at all.

The medals I collect I research as far as I can go. I have access to Ancestry so search and gather Pension or Service Records as well as MIC's.

Personally i would never buy medals with an erased name, the identity of the receipient has been erased for a reason? ask yourself why? it's wrong,immoral. :angry2:

I agree and there seems to be quite a few around these days.

Cheers Andy.

The next step to Medal Index Cards would be the Medal Rolls themselves as these may give you full name, battalion date of discharge etc.

Steve

thanks all, 1 , erased medal, i understand there was a bit of cheating going on i personaly dont like them . [ must admit i have 2 ] 2, cleaning medals , i have cleaned medals with gentle cleaning , understand that to much will wear the medal, neat washing up liquid and a finger rub is best for any silver ! agree with harry ,im not in it for money, more the interest . i think my two major problems are what to collect and how far to go on research ! all the best petey

:angry2:

Very, Very. I would not touch these items

i think my two major problems are what to collect and how far to go on research ! all the best petey

Hi

And that is a personal choice. I collect ones that relate to my famly or interest me and cost is a factor. As for research, well I go as far as I can with what I have access to. THe more the better as it gives a bigger picture

regards

Robert

If I can be honest here. From a medal collector who began this caper about 13 years ago, when I first started I had no idea of a theme. All I wanted was to collect medals.

My originals were various WW2 stars, WW1 Allied and Axis campaign medals, US Good Conduct medals, various UN medals. You see, it was not about quality, but more about quantity. Over time themes catch your eye and you filter towards them. There are photo's of my medals on this forum, and that of the BMF, which show themes now containing both quality and variety.

The various themes that could be chosen are endless - last names, towns, counties, battalions, regiments, divisions, theatres, service numbers, medal type - endless. I have, now the four frames are full, two themes on the go, single campaign medals to each of the first 24 battalions of the London Regiment and WW1 campaign medals to the Artillery of the 60th London Division.

The more experience in conducting research and finding the info, the more specific the theme that can be undertaken - yes, I do have two Victory Medals to the gunners of the Division. I can not go off names for a theme like this, I had to gather the service numbers and compile a list of about 1800 of them.

As for the cleaning - I clean and remount on new ribbon, all of my medals. As I said above, it's a personal choice.

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

Do you keep the original ribbons, and do you know whicch medals they came from?

Kath.

Hi Petey,

I hope you don't mind me "highjacking" your post, but I have a few questions in relation to some of the answers you've been given.

I'd love to be able to find my Grandfather & Greatuncle's medals (they are no longer in any immediate family's hands). So can anyone tell me if there is any way of searching for an individuals medals or would a find be down to very very good luck (I've read through the great topic on here where pals listed their medal collections).

So the questions are; why would an individuals name be erased from a medal, that is so wrong? Where can Medal Rolls , as mentioned by Steve, be found?

Thanks,

DB

Kath,

It seems that the majority of medals I purchase have no original ribbon when they arrive here. Those that do, I remove and do not retain.

DB,

I would suggest you start a separate thread on the search of your relatives medals. When you do it, include as much information about them as possible. (Service numbers, Regiments or Corps, medal entitlement)

Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice; I presume it would be this board I would post the request?

I would still like to if possible why would an individuals name be erased from a medal, that is so wrong? Where can Medal Rolls , as mentioned by Steve, be found?

Thanks,

DB

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice; I presume it would be this board I would post the request?

I would still like to if possible why would an individuals name be erased from a medal, that is so wrong? Where can Medal Rolls , as mentioned by Steve, be found?

Thanks,

DB

The recipient's name is usually erased so that the police or anyone else for that matter can prove them stolen!, or so that they can be re engraved to make up a trio or pair, and then sold.

Being a collector for over one and a half decades now, I have never cleaned a medal in my life. There is a certain degree of charm that stays with the medal when the patina is retained. Additionally, you risk scarring the medal by cleaning it. As for the ribbons NEVER throw an original ribbon away. I always leave the medal in the condition it was given to me. From there, I attempt to preserve the medal so it remans in that state regardless of presentability.

For research, try ancestry.com. Look up phonebooks, immigration chronicles and census details etc

All the best