Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croonart Wood - Warning

Paul Reed

I was up in the Salient today, on a rare day off, having a look round with an old school mate. As we both visited Croonart Wood on our very first visit to Ypres 25+ years ago, we thought we'd like to pop in today. Pottering around it wasn't until 4.30 in the afternoon that we phoned the Kemmel tourist office. This is what happened:

I rang and asked for the code number to get in, as suggest on this forum. The lady on the phone asked which tour company I worked for. I mentioned I worked for Leger, but that today I was out on my own and there was only two of us just looking around. She replied that they only gave the code out over the phone to coaches, not individuals. When I asked why, and mentioned that was a strange practice, she became quite rude and insisted that we come to Kemmel to get the code. I was at Hooge at the time, and she was closing in less than 20 minutes, so I said it wouldn't be possible. Come back tomorrow was the reply. Not possible - well, she made it clear that I couldn't get in and put the phone down on me when I mentioned there were two disappointed battlefield visitors!

Feeling a bit hard done by, we went down to the wood anyway, to see what we could view from the road. On arrival, someone was there who let us in and expressed surprise we couldn't get the code over the phone. He then left us in the wood on our own, walking off with the coded lock!!!!

So my advice - unless you are with a tour group, don't bother phoning, go straight to Kemmel and make sure you allow plenty of time. What sort of questions you get asked at Kemmel before you get the code I don't know! :blink:

Conclusion - 10/10 of the trenches, which were excellent. 0/10 for admin... which makes me very wary about ever taking coach groups there. Considering we took 10,000 to the Salient last year ... :(

I was, as mentioned above, very impressed with the trenches.

Thought you might like this b/w I took of one of the bunkers... could almost be a wartime shot 'im Bayenwald'...

post-4-1087679002.jpg

Paul ,

if this ever happens agian (that you are alone) You better phone to the museum / tourist office at Zonnebeke. They always have the code ttoo.

Cindy or Franky will be very friendly and they will help you for sure + it is open unitl 18.00 !!!!!

By the way, i will tell + print this story and show it to one of the bosses of that woman.

Because i also had a simular bad experience... :angry:

Thanks - glad it isn't just me then.

Despite the hassle, the site is well worth a visit. I do wonder how long the trenches will stay in that condition, though; it will need a lot of work to keep them in good order.

Thought you might like this b/w I took of one of the bunkers... could almost be a wartime shot 'im Bayenwald'...

I thought I'd post this photo of the same bunker (taken from a slightly different angle) to illustrate the work that has been done and to make an interesting modern "Then and Now" photo....

Dave. (photo taken in 1993)

post-4-1087770389.jpg

Paul-I'm interested in going to Bayernwald in October but of course now we have to be very mindful of Health and Safety issues (we've just received another load of forms to fill in). How would you rate the site in that regard?

I wouldn't like to give an opinion on that for obvious reasons, Mark. I would contact the site owners for an official, written, opinion, on that.

The big problem you will have is access with a coach; there doesn't seem to be any! The road from Wytschaete is very narrow, with no room to pass for cars, and there is only one parking space at the site, and very 'tight' for coaches. I really don't know what they propose for a grpup of this size - again contact them.

i already guided a group with an enlarged bus (2 m longer than a normal coach).

You can park on the small parking, but it is narrow. The road is possible to take.

You have to come from Wijtschate and if you live drive straight on to the T- point, go righte to Voormezele, follow untill the round about, take the first right, follow to the roundabout and there you can go to Ypres, wijtschate, mesen, etc.

That is the best way to drive with a coach / a bus. ;)

Following on the 'access' thread, what then is the best telephone number to ring during the day to get the code, if the Heuvelland office will not divulge it?

What happens if Kroonaert Wood is on the itinerary for a weekend day, as mine is - whom do we ring to get the gate code from at weekends?

Kerry

I repeat myself Kerry,

phone to the zonnebeke museum:

http://www.passchendaele.be/

tel +32 (0)51 77 04 41

open in the afternoon on sunday and saturday.