Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badges identification

steve263

post-61551-020384600 1291982700.jpg Hello. The attached photo is of five of my grand uncles, probably towards the end or just after the 1914-18 war. I'm trying to work out who is who and hoped that someone who is familiar with cap badges might be able to recognise these. I have war records for three of them but haven't been able to trace anything for the other two. The details that I know about are:

Levi Harvey - Machine Gun Corps, North Staffordshire Regiment, TR Bn, Royal Engineers Regimental Number: 90398, 36630, 6404, 362001

Robert Harvey - Royal Engineers 35249

Henry Harvey - Royal Artillery Regiment RH & RFA no 185741

William Harvey - ??

Thomas Harvey - ??

I think that the one on the right is the Royal Artillery and those in the front may be Royal Engineers but not sure. I'd be grateful for any help.

Rear left Royal Engineers, centre Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Front all Royal Engineers.

They have lost a relative as they all have the second button of their jackets covered in black cloth - unofficial.

Rear left Royal Engineers, centre Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Front all Royal Engineers.

They have lost a relative as they all have the second button of their jackets covered in black cloth - unofficial.

Many thanks for such a quick reply - and also for the information about the buttons covered in black cloth. Presumably this would represent a relative killed in action rather than one who died of natural causes? The reason I ask is that their father died in the last days of the war and it is possible that this photograph was taken around that time.

The black covered button was usually for a relative killed during the war but could possibly also be for a close relative as you say.

Known as a "mourning button" and an interesting hangover from Victorian times when mourning became a much more formal and public expression within the Empire, following the 'fashion' set by Queen Victoria after the untimely death of her beloved consort, Albert.

post-61551-020384600 1291982700.jpg Hello. The attached photo is of five of my grand uncles, probably towards the end or just after the 1914-18 war. I'm trying to work out who is who and hoped that someone who is familiar with cap badges might be able to recognise these. I have war records for three of them but haven't been able to trace anything for the other two. The details that I know about are:

Levi Harvey - Machine Gun Corps, North Staffordshire Regiment, TR Bn, Royal Engineers Regimental Number: 90398, 36630, 6404, 362001

Robert Harvey - Royal Engineers 35249

Henry Harvey - Royal Artillery Regiment RH & RFA no 185741

William Harvey - ??

Thomas Harvey - ??

I think that the one on the right is the Royal Artillery and those in the front may be Royal Engineers but not sure. I'd be grateful for any help.

Hi

If you know where the the soldier belonging to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment is from it may narrow down which Battalion he was in or where to look for any information on him. Kindest Regards DaveC

Hi

If you know where the the soldier belonging to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment is from it may narrow down which Battalion he was in or where to look for any information on him. Kindest Regards DaveC

Thanks Dave. They were all from Hanley, Stoke on Trent, and as far as I know all enlisted locally. The one most likely to have been in the Duke of Wellington's regiment was Thomas (born 1900), although I can't be certain and I haven't been able to find any war records for him. (There is another Thomas Harvey of similar age from Hanley for whom there are records, but that Thomas has different parents listed so it's not him.)

Thanks Dave. They were all from Hanley, Stoke on Trent, and as far as I know all enlisted locally. The one most likely to have been in the Duke of Wellington's regiment was Thomas (born 1900), although I can't be certain and I haven't been able to find any war records for him. (There is another Thomas Harvey of similar age from Hanley for whom there are records, but that Thomas has different parents listed so it's not him.)

Hi Steve

Didn't help much, i'll keep a look out for anything relating to him. Kindest Regards DaveC