Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scope of 20,000 maps over 10,000

Smithmaps

Having spent countless hours over the last year, registering over 1000 new trench maps in 1:20,000 scale into LinesMan.

I just thought I would share this.

Along with registering each map, I have manually traced nearly every trench of significance. I have now produced overlay files of the significant trenches for both scales: 1:10,000 and new 1:20,000. (These are the extra trenches over and above the previously mapped 10,000 scale)

I will post here a couple of screen shots, which show the extent of the trenches that were mapped at each scale. And for the first time it can be clearly seen, just how much more extensive the 1:20,000 scale mapping was. Especially the British (blue) lines.

I don't believe that this comparison has ever been available before in this kind of view, and the majority of the 1:20,000 scale maps are previously unpublished.

We hope to get the pre production version to Memory-Map next week.

Screen shots may take several posts

First the existing 10,000 scale overlay:

Next the 1:20,000 scale layer

These are additional 20,000 trenches

Guy

post-12226-005122800 1291851687.jpg

post-12226-093348100 1291851808.jpg

Now the combined layers, showing the complete set of trenches covered by both 10 and 20,000 scale maps.

I hope this is of interest. As you can see, these maps effectively 'locate' large stretches of trenches, of which they are the only record.

Guy

p.s. the top end of Belgium would not fit in this view, but I'm sure you get what I am aiming at!

post-12226-034865200 1291851982.jpg

This looks fantastic Guy - especially valuable to any student of the 1918 campaign as the overlays were mainly done in 1:20000 during that period - thus the big difference around Amiens.

Jim

I knew I should have gone for the iPhone with the bigger memory :(

Seriously though, will these be availiable as an upgrade for existing linesman users?

Andy

Not an upgrade - Guy wouldn't do that to us.

Would you Guy??? :unsure:

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm pleased with it.

This is the result of over a year's spare time work, to bring the entire Imperial War Museum 1:20,000 scale map collection into LinesMan, topped up with more from my own collection. The 1:20,000 maps are largely previously unpublished, as 1:10,000 always seems to have had the focus. This effectively 'completes' LinesMan from a British perspective, and the two products provide a comprehensive set of British mapping during the Great War. We are confident that we have now included almost all of the maps that were ever printed in the two 10 and 20 thousand discs.

As a bonus, we have also taken the opportunity to mop up a few extra 1:10,000 maps that we have searched out for completeness. Plus we intend to add some at 1:40,000 scale.

It is our third product, and has taken a great deal of effort and perserverence, especially in the light of the other offerings without the value add, work and cost of an operating system to make them user friendly. But we believed that it was important to press on, and not leave the job half done. I can assure you there has been much soul searching in this respect due to the investment required.

As usual, we will probably be offering some form of discount to existing LinesMan users, but I will refrain from giving figures until the website launch.

It is a pity we missed getting it ready before Christmas, but on a personal level, I am really pleased to get the job behind me. Bring on the mince pies!

Guy

Guy,

as someone with both the French and Belgian packages and a huge Linesman fan I'm almost slavering over this becoming available.

Pray tell: do you have any plans, even distant ones, to do the same for either French or German maps at a future time?

Simon.

As usual, we will probably be offering some form of discount to existing LinesMan users.....

Sold!

Just please don't tell Mrs Ice Tiger; she still thinks it only cost me us £20 :thumbsup:

Andy

Guy,

as someone with both the French and Belgian packages and a huge Linesman fan I'm almost slavering over this becoming available.

Pray tell: do you have any plans, even distant ones, to do the same for either French or German maps at a future time?

Simon.

Simon,

Thanks, very reassuring to hear!

In answer to your other question, French -Yes, in fact project is well under way as we have a great number scanned already after so far three trips to France. Next project and very exciting, as many are of the British area too.

German - NO...Two problems, have never found any quantity of maps (Big Problem). So complex to register due to at least five different German systems. Not sure I have the stamina.

Guy

Just to add weight to Guy's words with regards to German maps. I talked to the Memory Map folk at a conference a couple of years back about their product and whether we could look forward to using it in Germany for school with local maps. He just laughed. Germany is not standard map friendly at all. For things like D of E we have to use maps that we can get from the military which are actually OS 1:50000! Unfortunately not always particularly up to date as you can imagine, especially since 1990.

I am actually pleased it is not ready for Christmas - I would have been so tempted that Christmas dinner might have been threatened! :P

Jim

Jim

The Great War German problem is worse than that.

I have not found any significant quantities anywhere.

There were five German armies, and each one had it's own set of maps and system of cartography.

Add the fact that only sporadic maps from each system exist. It is often very difficult from the map markings to tell from which army or system they originate.(Any GW user knew which army he was in, so they did not need to write it on the map)

The basic map keys that were commonplace in the GW to each army, have not survived.

Obviously, if a significant set were found, I would look at it again, but it seems unlikely.

Just another note for those who don't have LinesMan. The operating system has the ability to add maps, and the 1:20,000 maps will effectively be a product upgrade.

The new one will not be a seperate stand alone product, the new maps will work alongside the 1:10,000 scale. The available maps at any one point just gets larger.

Demos are on the web site to understand how the 'Maps at cursor' function works.

Thanks for the encouragement all.

Guy

Glad the new maps are not out yet as I have just got the 'Belgian' upgrade for Christmas. My Birthday is in February. The upgrade would be a nice present :innocent:

Glad the new maps are not out yet as I have just got the 'Belgian' upgrade for Christmas. My Birthday is in February. The upgrade would be a nice present :innocent:

Len,

So nice to think that all the hours we have spent, will become somebody's Christmas or Birthday present.

Seems to make it all a bit more worthwhile somehow!

Guy

Well done, that man! I'm on Santa's list for next Christmas. Antony