Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Officers Cadet Battalion

Guest Hill 60

I asked this question sometime ago but it drew a blank. Anyone got any ideas?

Does anyone know anything about the the 10th Officers Cadet Battalion, Gailes, Ayrshire?

My partner picked up a postcard of Kilmarnock where she was born and noticed (a lot later) that it was embossed with the wording:

D Company, 10th Officers Cadet Battalion, Gailes, Ayrshire.

It is postmarked 1917.

Where were the Battalion trained? Is the place still there?

I'm (hopefully) going to Kilmarnock for a day or so next month and would like to see the place, if it is still there.

Many thanks. :)

Lee

Can't help on the location however you might like to know that the 9th Batt. were also at Gailes.

Lee,

It was probably somewhere near Dundonald which is about 3 Km East of Troon - but I can't see it on the 50, 000 map.

See

this link

for a good (free) finding aid to Scots placenames.

Jock

P.S. Given your plans shouldn't the song in your signature block be 'Wi' my big Kilmarnock bunnet, as I run to catch the train ............ ' :D

Jock

There is a campsite to the South of Dundonald on the B730 with a big old house in the middle of it that was used for a conference in the planning for 'Overlord' in the Second World War. (Eisenhower stayed down the road in the splendour of Culzean Castle)

I don't know the house's background but if it was used by the military in WW2 it's not unreasonable to expect it was used as a camp in WW1.

Perhaps that is the site of your camp? It's between the B730 and Symington.

Cheers

Adam

Lee

Got it - I think.

Not the place Adam knows ... but he made me look further out from Dundonald.

West of the A78 between Irvine and Troon is 'Dundonald Camp' - (GR NS 33 34) - the actual place name Gailes appears on the 50, 000 OS map in grid square NS 32 35.

Good hunting

Jock

Lee

I believe that there are two golf clubs in the area (Glasgow & West of Scotland) it is possible that the club houses were used as Batt.HQ with the Batt in tents or huts?

(Eisenhower stayed down the road in the splendour of Culzean Castle)

Adam - You're right, Eisenhower did stay at Culzean Castle. He was also given, on a lifetime tenure, an apartment on the top floor in 1945. Today you can hire one of the six bedrooms or the whole apartment for private functions.

HP - I'll have a look at the golf clubs and see if there is any history available.

Jock - Thanks for the map references, I'll have a look around there as well. And thanks for the song title :lol:, but I never run for trains :P