Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ship ROHILLA

hmsk212

Hi,

I thought I might share the attached photo with the pals. I recently bought a book and found this in amongst its pages. Although tatty, it is still clear and on the back it has written " Wreck of Hospital Ship Rohilla at Whitby - Firing a Rocket - Exposure 1/1000 part of a second." There is a great website that covers details on her at www.merchantnavyofficers.com/rohilla.html

Steve

Steve,

That photograph is a great find and thanks for sharing it

The following is from ‘The Cross on the Sword – Catholic Chaplains in the Forces’

by Johnstone & Hagerty and concerns two of the chaplains serving on this ship

“The first chaplain of any faith in all the British Sevices to die in World War I was Cannon Robert Basil Gwydir OSB, of Douai Abbey and St. David’s Priory, Swansea. Following his appointment as full-time officiating chaplain, Fr Gwydir worked at Rosyth and Queensferry, and at the end of October 1914, departed for Portsmouth in the Home Fleet hospital ship Rohilla loaded with sick and wounded seamen and marines. During a storm on 30th October the ship was wrecked off Whitby. Fr Gwydir remained on board with the wounded and drowned with them. By stark contrast, the C of E chaplain, the Rev Richard Allen, who may have been on the upper deck away from the ship’s wards at the time, allowed himself to be rescued with many others. The Admiralty was unforgiving, and Allen was not appointed to another ship. He resigned his commission on 23rd December 1914.”

A footnote indicated that the details were from ‘Sea Chaplains’ by G. Taylor [London 1978] p.340

Regards

Michael D.R.

For details on casualties (portrait photo, age, dependents, service details, marriage status, address etc) see 'Cravens Part in the Great War' - many men from Barnoldswick died during this incident. I have a copy and can do quick look ups if needed.

What a picture - is it of the usual 'postcard' type c. WWI?

'The Sea Chaplains Page 340 actually reads as follows:

'Ronald Allen had only recently become a naval chaplain, was rescued from the wreck of the hospital ship Rohilla off Whitby on 30 October 1914, but as a consequence of the shock he was physically unable to serve again and resigned on 23 December. In this disaster the Officiating Roman Catholic chaplain, Basil Gwyder, a Benedictine, lost his life when he stayed with the wounded.'

Dave

For details on casualties (portrait photo, age, dependents, service details, marriage status, address etc) see 'Cravens Part in the Great War' - many men from Barnoldswick died during this incident. I have a copy and can do quick look ups if needed.

What a picture - is it of the usual 'postcard' type c. WWI?

Hi Simon

No it is a photograph - about paper thin and approx 6.5 inches by 4.5 inches. Other than the writing in ink on the back, that I have already quoted, there are no marks such as copyright/ photographers marks etc. As it is so well taken I did wonder if it was a press photo that had escaped the copyright stamp. The book that the picture was in was published in 1919 and belonged to an ex-Captain in the Machine Gun Corps who committed suicide in 1923. What I need to do is to see if I can find a link between him and the Rohilla.

Steve

• 2 months later...

My great-uncle, George Brain, was the ship's carpenter and drowned too. I hope to go to Whitby again for the 90th Anniversary.

I keep meaning to buy "Into the Maelstrom The Wreck of HMHS Rohilla" by Colin Brittain.

• 1 month later...

There has been a Remembrance Service organised for 31st October at 14.30 at the Bandstand in Whitby. There will then be a wreath laying ceremony where the Rohilla was damaged.

John.

Where's the Banstand at Whitby? On the top near the whale bone arch?

Would love to meet up and pay my respects.

Regards, Chris.

Chris, I think it's near the Lifeboat Museum. I've only been to Whitby once (about ten years ago) and that was to see the Rohilla Memorial in the churchyard.

Peter Thomson is organising it. He's based at the RNLI Whitby Lifeboat Museum, Pier Road. 01947 602001.

Best wishes

John

Steve,

Private Sellars, of Brierfield, who died in the wreck of the Rohilla, is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Little Marsden, Nelson, about two minutes walk from where I live.

Fred W

• 2 years later...

One of the lifeboats involved in unsuccessful attempts to rescue people from the Hospital Ship Rohilla [see the second of 'Some Lifeboat Stories' here http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/J...RS/lifeboat.htm]

the William Riley is to be restored

see the Hexham Courant article here http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/viewa....aspx?id=422964