Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Science goes to war -- and comes back home

sykikcabbage

We've heard a great deal about how the Second World War was a huge driving force for scientific progress and technological innovation -- producing countless spin-off technologies with commercial applications that dominated the second half of the 20th century, blah blah. (Although it does seem that many of the advances that have been touted as the fruits of WWII research actually had their basis in lines of research that were being pursued years before the war.)

But does anyone know of a study which looks at the impact of the First World War upon the science and technology of the 1920s and 30s? Or how the belligerent governments sought to hitch their national S&T base to the war effort? (About the only read I can find on the wartime relationship between government and the universities & industry in the search for victory is a chapter in Arthur Marwick's The Deluge, which of course looks at the matter from only a British perspective.)

Can anyone suggest examples of scientific and technical innovation between 1914-18 that spilled over into civilian life in the decades afterward? If I remember rightly, some medical techniques and devices were pioneered during the war -- I'm thinking particularly of plastic surgery, and I have a vague impression there was some investment in developing new antiseptics and surgical instruments. I feel sure that the chemical engineering industry must have reaped the fruits of research during the war. Aviation technology is another area that springs to mind. However, I don't know of any specifics. Any suggestions or recommendations for reading would be appreciated. Thanks.

The mass production of artificial fertilizers

Wireless (radio) transmission (including advances in valves etc) leading to private wireless sets and domestic broadcasting public service and otherwise

Major advances in the use of multiplexers

Telephone exchange technology (see also multiplexers above).

Mass production of X ray machines

Aluminum alloys

Frederick Lindeman's experiences at RAE Farnborough certainly influenced his attitudes towards the need for scientific research to examine defence problems. During WWI he learnt to fly (despite defective vision in one eye), and having established the theory of how to escape a spin (then almost invariably fatal) he himself conducted the test flights to prove the theory correct. He was a strong supporter of the development of radar in the lead up to WWII and became (as Lord Cherwell) Churchill's chief scientific adviser (and held cabinet rank as Paymaster-General). As the professor in charge of the Clarendon Lab at Oxford in the inter-war years, he was one fo the first to seek funding for research from ICI and other industrial entities.

The work of Alan Arnold Griffith at the Royal Aircraft Establishment in WW1, into stress and failure in metals, had a significant impact post-war. Amongst other things it helped ship builders to understand why ships could break up in bad weather, influenced the design of aircraft and paved the way for the development of modern materials such as fibre glass and carbon fibres.

TR