Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Temporary ranks

Liz in Eastbourne

This is extremely helpful as I am putting together a book about my great uncle's short but eventful war in 1918.

I am basing much on documentation. One such document with a somewhat long title:

Application for an admission to an officer cadet unit with a view to appointment to a temporary commission in the Regular Army for the period of the war, to a commission to the Special Reserve of Officers or to a Commission in the Territorial Force

• At university he was in the Officer Cadets and left when he completed university in 1911
  • He became a school teacher
  • In 1917 he went to complete his officer training and was attached to the 2nd Artist Rifles OTC
  • ​He was then given his command as second lieutenant on 25th Feb 1918 (London Gazette)

I believe i am correct in saying that he was sent to complete his complete his officer training because he was in the officer cadets at university.

Also that he was a second rank because he had no experience and would only become a first lieutenant with promotion within the army?

It was only to be for the duration of the war?

I am still uncertain whether he was conscripted or volunteered.

Does anyone have I made any mistakes here? Any advice much appreciated

• 7 months later...

Sorry to see the query above went unanswered...the OP seems not to have been back or I'd have a go now!

Mine indicates that I am still confused about temporary ranks in some instances, though I understand about commissions for the duration of the war.

This is the case I'm looking at.

Lionel Clement Mundey was commissioned into The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) from the Royal Military College Sandhurst in Sept 1912
(LG 28641 3 Sept 1912).
He went to India with the 2nd Battalion and had a happy time playing games at Poona and Jubbulpore until the war broke out; then came back with them, went to Gallipoli in April 1915 and was killed in action, probably on 6 June 1915.
What I don’t understand is the London Gazette entries in early 1915, before they went to Gallipoli – they don’t just apply to him but to a number of men, and I don’t see why a regular army officer has become a temporary Lieutenant. It doesn't seem like the sort of promotion that would be Acting - two years as 2/Lt seems about right.
LG 29053 26 Jan 1915
The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants: — ……………………
Lionel C. Mundey. Dated 22nd December, 1914.
LG Supplement 29114 25 March 1915
… The undermentioned Second Lieutenants (now Lieutenants) to be temporary Lieutenants : — Eric S. North. Dated 19th October, 1914. Lionel C. Mundey. Dated 21st October, 1914
…..
The promotion to the rank of Lieutenant of the undermentioned Second Lieutenants (temporary Lieutenants) is antedated as follows: —... Eric S. North to the 12th December, 1914. Lionel C. Mundey to the 14th December, 1914…
Has anyone an explanation?
Liz

Nearly all promotions during the war were temporary - it is very rare to see "acting" in a Gazette entry unless this was connected to a particular appointment, e.g. "acting captain whilst in command of a trench mortar battery".

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I hadn't realized this, though I knew 'acting' was usually for a specific role. Why then do you think their promotions were first gazetted 'Lieutenant' and then later 'temporary Lieutenant'? The LG usually makes it clear if something was a mistake before.

Liz

I think that this was simply a backdating of their promotions.

Ron

LG 29053 26 Jan 1915
The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants: — ……………………
Lionel C. Mundey. Dated 22nd December, 1914.
LG Supplement 29114 25 March 1915
… The undermentioned Second Lieutenants (now Lieutenants) to be temporary Lieutenants : — Eric S. North. Dated 19th October, 1914. Lionel C. Mundey. Dated 21st October, 1914
…..
The promotion to the rank of Lieutenant of the undermentioned Second Lieutenants (temporary Lieutenants) is antedated as follows: —... Eric S. North to the 12th December, 1914. Lionel C. Mundey to the 14th December, 1914…

I think that this was simply a backdating of their promotions.

Ron

The light is slowly dawning, looking at the dates, Ron - the first one in Jan called him and others Lieutenants, but was dated 22nd December 1914. The first of the two March 1915 mentions said he was (now Lieutenant) temporary Lieutenant as from October 1914, and the second takes him to Lieutenant from 12 December 1914. Sorry, I was a bit slow to get that....it was a clerical clearing up in retrospect, as you say.

Liz

No problem, Liz - these matters affected both the pay and seniority of officers, so it was essential that the details were correct, even if only army paymasters understood the system!

I have seen other cases when an actual mistake in a Gazette entry was corrected with two further entries - one simply cancelling the first entry altogether, and another giving the correct details. If you find the cancellation, but not the correct entry, you can easily go on a wild goose chase.

Ron