Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Royal Canadian Artillery?

This pic comes from the same image I posted earlier. Doing some research on similar posts on the forum, I note that the badge might be of Canadian origin. Given that the previous soldier was Canadian, do you think this is likely?????

post-20647-043895800 1291468893.jpg

Well, if they're on the same pic it's "likely" but, as they're obviously from different units, then the likelihood diminishes. The badge has some characteristics of arty badges (although the sweep of the scroll is very exaggerated in the centre) but whether it's Royal Canadian or a battery badge or even Canadian, my old eyes can't tell. Sorry, Antony

Fair point I agree it is hard. I found an old post on here showing a similar badge as being possibly of Canadian manufacture - which doesn't mean it's worn by a Canadian, of course... I've mentioned in separate posts that I am scanning the Great War period negative collection of a large newspaper archive and although I cannot show whole images because of the nightmare of copyright- I feel safe to show sections of this one. I scan them at 40 megabytes, which makes for a big image. This one needed three hours of work to remove blotches and nicks in the emulsion. The full image comes from the Eagle Hut at the Aldwych on the day of opening (03.09.1917) and includes two confirmed Canadians, two Australians, a US Army private, three US Navy men, a very young man wearing a Mercantile Marine officers uniform (one wavey ring on his cuff) and a young boy. I have plenty of time to perfect captions.

This project will take me about two years.

Thanks, as always, for your input.

MB