Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book Immediate Meritorious service medals

kingsman64

Hi

Does anybody out there have the book "Immediate Meritorious Service Medals"?

I am hoping somebody could look up 16291 Pte. A/Sgt Nixon, L. 9th Batalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. It appears that this was an immediate award possibly for gallantry not in the face of the enemy as it has his service number on "normal" annuity MSM's did not have the service number just name rank and regiment.

The london Gazette date is 12/12/1919 and this is a Black Sea award possibly unique to the regiment.

I believe this book has some 1200 immediate MSM citations?

If not I will have to cough up and buy a copy! :lol:

Many thanks and best regards.

The book does not contain individual citations, just the general one that each award appeared under. It tells you nothing more than you already know.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the quick response just saved me £28 plus P+P! :D

Off to trawl the microfiche of his local paper might get a bit more info. there.

Best regards

Paul

Paul,

I have this book, it says Nixon, Private (A/Sjt.),L.

London Gazette Volume 4, 1919. The award was not for gallantry, page 15447 in Gazette.

Page 366 in the book, if you need a scan of entry let me know.

Andy

Hi

Does anybody out there have the book "Immediate Meritorious Service Medals"?

I am hoping somebody could look up 16291 Pte. A/Sgt Nixon, L. 9th Batalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. It appears that this was an immediate award possibly for gallantry not in the face of the enemy as it has his service number on "normal" annuity MSM's did not have the service number just name rank and regiment.

The london Gazette date is 12/12/1919 and this is a Black Sea award possibly unique to the regiment.

I believe this book has some 1200 immediate MSM citations?

If not I will have to cough up and buy a copy! :lol:

Many thanks and best regards.

The MSM you have is an immediate award for Valuable Service & Devotion to Duty{ie:one of around 25500 awards made & is Not a Gallantry in the Performance of Military Duty Example,[Only 435 awarded 1916~27]whilst you may be lucky to find some brief details of the award in the Local Press,Citations as such do not exist for these MSMs,though obviously @ some time recommendations for the awards did~though the history of their passing is unknown,probably "Weeded" out by overzealous MOD Clerks in the 1960s & 70s & Shredded.

A Full Roll of MSM for GiPMD are in The Book [s/B] by Maj;J.D.Sainsbury,TD; by Samson Press "For Gallantry In the Performance Of Military Duty" Pub 1980~@ £4.95 if you can find a Copy as it is now Out of Print,Nixon is not amongst these.