Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC COmmemorations

Terry Denham

.............The Somerset and Dorset Family History Society, who provided the plan of the churchyard and gave us a great deal of help, wrote an article about the search for Gilbert's grave and published it in the November 2011 edition of their magazine, The Greenwood Tree.

"Remembering Gilbert Drew"

I will look out my transcription of it and send it to you.......

Regards

CGM

:poppy:

You have a Personal Message.

Thank you for sending that, I will keep it with all my family tree documents including the photo of the grave. I hope to visit it one day soon as we're not too far away in Bristol.

Again, no apologies needed for reviving this thread. When I was first researching Gilbert I found an old RootsChat thread from a family member asking about him (I wonder if this was the person who have you the family tree), so I always hoped his story would be found by the family. In fact, when CGM first mentioned that the family history society wanted to do an article I said to her that the one loose end I wanted to tie up was getting the story to the family.

The one thing I've never been able to find is a picture of him, so if you ever find anything in an old family album, I'd love to see it (as would Alan Regin who looks after the bellringers' roll of honour, and who physically found Gilbert's grave)

The person on Rootschat was my sister but it wasnt her that gave me the family tree, it was a cousin on another side of the family. When my Mum next visits her Aunt in Wells I will see if she has any photos of the family, I would at least like to copy any photos as not sure what will happen to them when she passes on.

My Grandad grew up in Dinder and moved to Wells for most of his adult life.

I have saved the archive relating to Gilbert, I still cant get over googling "Drew family Dinder" and finding people talking about one of my relations. I will print out the info and show Mum tomorrow!

I should have a scan of the local newspaper article about his funeral too. Let me know if you'd like a copy

I've got photos of the war memorial too come to think of it. Drop me a message with your email address and I'll send them

Hi David, I just tried to pm you but it says you're unable to accept new messages. Does that mean your inbox is full? Not sure how it works on these forums.

Yes it was full - realised just after my previous posting, and have now cleared some space. I've realised looking through my old emails that I can't actually find the scan of the article at the moment - but Alan Regin should be able to send it to me again, or he could send it direct to you if you don't mind me passing your email address on.

• 1 year later...

There is now a photo of Drew's father linked from this thread

which is about one of the family that owned Dinder House.

• 1 year later...

THOMAS, MARGARET EVANS

Rank:Staff NurseDate of Death:08/11/1918Age:28Regiment/Service:Territorial Force Nursing Service 1st London General Hospital Grave Reference:Sec.A. B.A. Grave 24Cemetery:PWLLHELI BOROUGH CEMETERY

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Staff Nurse Thomas is buried here.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.