Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armoured wagon

robert_sfl

It's a Canadian Autocar armoured car used in small numbers on the Western Front throughout the war.

Updated article at Landships II: http://www.landships.info/landships/car_articles.html?load=car_articles/Autocar.html

Please don't quote Patriotfiles - this is a pirate site - the guy copied the Landships I articles after removing all author information.

We (at Landships II) would DMCA all the stolen files at Patriotfiles but the original author, Peter Kempf, is uncontactable.

Regards,

Charlie

Nice article thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, there were only 8 of these made as mobile MG-platforms. It seems somewhat suicidal to me because there is no protection for the exposed gunners, are there any battle reports?

There are people in this Forum far more expert than I about armoured cars but... The eight cars had a range of up to 225 miles, cruised at 15mph and could reach 30mph. They were not intended to go into action but for use as troop carriers. About half the personnel had been chauffeurs and mechanics in civilian life. In early November 1914,the open-roofed design had proved flawed, when similar armoured cars of other makes used in France had proved vulnerable to fire from above.

When the First Canadian Division moved to France in February 1915, the Automobile Machine Gun Brigade (the usefulness of whose cars Kitchener and the Canadian commander, Alderson, had doubted) moved to Wilton, near Salisbury, on February 12 and then, on March 17, to Ashford in Kent, where it assumed a home-defence role. The brigade was re-united with the First Division in France in mid-June 1915 when it was re-designated the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade.

Moonraker

Seem to recall a German photograph showing something very similar, with the Vickers all ahoo, claiming to be a Canadian vehicles over run during the March 1918 retreat. SW