Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial For Sale on E-Bay

thegreypanther

BBC radio 4 phoned me up to ask me whether I knew anything about a War Memorial that is for sale on EBay. Not a postcard, but a copper plate engraved with names. This can be seen on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330502106354&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D330502106354%2B%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

One of the names is an Officer of the Yorkshire Regiment, 2nd Lieutenant Geoffrey Ernest Layton-Bennett, who was in the 2nd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment killed at the Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916.

Although it is extremely sad that such a memorial becomes a sale object on EBay, - presumably the sheet of copper is now the main attraction, it would be nice to know where the men on that memorial worked.

The memorial is inscribed

"THIS TABLET IS INSCRIBED IN HONOUR OF THOSE MEMBERS OF THE STAFF WHO GAVE THEIR SERVICES DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918".

The men who lost their lives appear to have lived in the London area, or in the South East. At a guess they may have been employed by a legal firm, or a bank.

Would anybody have any ideas as to where this memorial might once have belonged?

Probably too late now to return the memorial to its rightful place, - the EBay sale ends in a few hours.

But it would be good to return the memorial to its rightful place, rather than have it sold for scrap.

post-32915-085717900 1291390585.jpg

This http://www.josolyne.co.uk/about/history.html suggests there was a firm of accountants in the City of London called Layton-Bennett, given the prominence of the two names at the top of the memorial this seems a likely source. CWGC website seems to be playing up at the moment or I'd check out Geoffery E Layton-Bennett as the star looks to indicate the men killed, as opposed to those who served and survived.

The ICAEW website supports this. Looks like the firm has long since been merged into other firms.

tgp

I had hoped to quote the service file of the officer,Lt Geoffrey Layton-Bennett,but none show themselves in either WO339 or 374. It is almost certain that his company will be featured in his file,subject to the dreaded "Weeding".

Maybe someone else can try,it seems that now and then the system plays"hide and seek".

Neither can I find him on SDGW or De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

Sotonmate

CWGC -

Name: LAYTON-BENNETT, GEOFFREY ERNEST

Initials: G E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Yorkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Additional information: Son of Ernest Layton-Bennett and E. Beatrice Layton-Bennett, of 10, Belsize Grove, Hampstead, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 32.

Cemetery: PERONNE ROAD CEMETERY, MARICOURT

John

A quick google suggests it might be Ernest Layton-Bennett, who were chartered accountants in the City of London. Kenneth Layton-Bennett comes up as an advisor to the Air Ministry in 1940, so David's point about the star signifying "killed" may well be right.

Phil

The 1911 census has a John Patrick Copinger described as a Bank Clerk, born Islington.

Keith

Name: FARROW, PERCY ROBERT

Initials: P R

Regiment/Service: Honourable Artillery Company

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 15/05/1917

Service No: 5227

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Farrow, of 16, Audley Gardens, Seven Kings, Ilford.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: WOLLMAN

Initials: M

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 227th Coy.

Date of Death: 25/11/1917

Service No: 115620

Additional information: Son of Leah Lefcovitch (formerly Wollman), of 30, Great Garden St., London, E. I., and the late Morris Wollman. Native of Stepney, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 5.

Cemetery: FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND

There are a number of matches for Snow W.

John

The company were taken over by Arthur Young, now Ernst & Young, I've phoned their London office but at this time on a Friday I haven't been able to get hold of their archivist/librarian; such a shame, the sale ends tomorrow. I'd be tempted to buy it myself but the postage for 6lb of copper to the UK.......

EDIT: Perhaps the Greypanther can let R4 know; Ernst & Young may be prompted by them ....!?!

1911 census lists Geoffrey as chartered accountant and Kenneth as Articled Clerk, living with their father, also Ernest and also a Chartered Accountant, surname given as plain Bennett, Layton given as one of the father's forenames.

Based on WO 338, Geoffrey is in WO 339/50652 (indexed in WO 338 as Layton-Bennett, but as plain G Bennett in WO 339). Kenneth possibly WO 339/79275.

I've contacted the seller on ebay and pointed them to this thread, and asked them to consider removing it from sale until E&Y can be contacted.

• Admin

Probably too late now to return the memorial to its rightful place, - the EBay sale ends in a few hours.

But it would be good to return the memorial to its rightful place, rather than have it sold for scrap.

It seems the vendor has done some basic research and I think it unlikely the item will be scrapped as the current bids exceed the UK scrap value of around £4/kilo. It seems someone saved this piece and it's now being sold in a 'collector's market'. There must have been hundreds of these small memorials that ended up in the skip in the sixties and seventies. I'm researching two memorials (allegedly now in 'private hands' ) that were rescued from a skip when the respective buildings were demolished or converted.

Good luck to them there are 3 bids on this item already, I've no connection with the vendor but at least it gets them in the open unlike the one's Im researching which are said to be in the back of a garage

From a quick google search it seems that an accountancy firm with the name Layton-Bennet etc was absorbed into Arthur Young around 1929

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route/120061/icaew_ga/Home/About_us/History_of_accounting/Resources_Firms_Family_Trees/Family_Tree_Arthur_Young/pdf

The Arthur Young 'family tree' referred to is on the Institute of Chartered Accountant's site, they may be interested (that should push the price up!) especially with 2014 coming up. As with the memorials above I doubt the 'rightful place' still exists (and no doubt the officers and men are commemorated elsewhere) but it's still a fine piece. Perhaps you should advise the Institute and give them the opportunity to bid.

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route/158423/icaew_ga/en/Home/Institute_of_Chartered_Accountants_in_England_and_Wales but as said at 445 on a friday

Ken

Postage estimated as $46. I wonder if Ernst & Young would be interested in having it as part of their heritage. I suspect yes. Nice to bring it home. I would put in a few quid towards this end.

Ian

• Admin

Just heard the piece on PM didn't agree with all that was said but well done. I wish I could get the same publicity for my 'lost 'memorials.

As I said before the seller has done a service in that she has put this in the open, given anyone in the world an opportunity to buy it, including the formidable lady on pm or the 'Green Howards' Museum'. So what's the alternative leave them lying around in attics in the UK?

What this has achieved is national publicity that so many of our memorials are in disrepair.

Ken

David's point about the star signifying "killed" may well be right.

It does actually say at the bottom of the plaque:

* KILLED OR DIED OF WOUNDS RECEIVED IN ACTION

It also seems to have omitted at least one person who should have had a star, and there are a few others with London connections in the CWGC which can't be linked easily:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=452164

Name: COPINGER, JOHN PATRICK

Initials: J P

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/09/1917

Additional information: Son of Annie Stewart Copinger, of 30, Sherborne Gardens, Ealing, London, and the late Rev. H. E. Copinger.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. E. 14.

Cemetery: NEW IRISH FARM CEMETERY

Many thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

The request by the BBC for me to say a few words was totally out of the blue, and I was only given a couple of hours to get thoughts in order.

Hopefully the memorial will be placed somewhere appropriate, and not just simply disappear into somebody's "collection" or - worst of all - be scrapped.

Geoffrey Layton-Bennett was, of course, an officer of the Yorkshire Regiment (aka the Green Howards) and is commemorated on the Yorkshire Regiment Remembrance website, http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk.

"With the Colours"

"A list of Chartered and Incorporated Accountants and their Clerks who have joined the Colours", gives the following for the firm of E. Layton-Bennett & Co (London)

E. Bennett RFA

F W Doe 6th City of London Batt

W F Edwards RFA

G E Layton Bennett ACA, LRB

K A Layton Bennett ACA (Capt)7th Middx R

H Ling QVR

W Snow 7th City of London R

L Stanbrough RFA

R G Wallis LRB

All of whom appear to tie in.

Regards

Pam

Now up to $184.00. Bidder e**r has kept ahead of all other bids.

Obviously not being bought for scrap.