Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Regiment expert required

Tyneside Chinaman

Hi

I have had these two photos for a few years now the dealer has Royal Green jackets on the back,

I think but not 100% certain that they are Post Office Rifles. The shoulder title on the close up T/DIGIT/COUNTY would suggest that, but I am open to other ideas. I can't thimk of any other unit with T/Single Digit/County titles and a Rifle Brigade style cap badge.

ANY Help Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

post-27843-071799700 1291236963.jpg

post-27843-014251100 1291237020.jpg

post-27843-019398200 1291237034.jpg

Single digit s/t could only be 8th (City of London) battalion (Post Office Rifles) with a badge of that style - similar badges were 17th (County of London) battalion (Poplar & Stepney Rifles) and 19th (County of London) battalion (St Pancras).

I also concur with Squirrel and Grovetown. I scoured the pics to see if one was AE Knight, who was awarded the VC for 3rd Ypres and was the grandfather of a school mate. How he ended up in 8/London when he was born, bred and lived in Birmingham I don't know, but he was a serving member of the GPO when he signed up.

Oh, and a dealer who puts 'Royal Green Jackets' on a picture like this needs slapping with a kipper and a wide berth.

Gents,

Thank you for the replies

I had ruled out 17th and 19th because of the single digit.

regards

John