Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemoration

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following WW1 casualty to the Debt of Honour today.

Lt Nelson Ernest SUTTLE

4th Bn, Suffolk Regiment

Died 04.11.18 Age 21

Buried: Cambridge (Histon Road) Cemetery, Cambs, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

- Lt Suttle died of influenza and was put forward on behalf of Raymond Youngs.

May He Rest In Peace

Rest in peace soldier boy, gone and no longer forgotten. poppy.gif

Through my research into the Suffolk Regiment I stumbled upon the MIC for Second Lieutenant Nelson Ernest Suttle which stated he died on the

4th Nov 1918 and I wondered why he was not on the CWGC database. So I got sidetracked into researching him, as an Officer his records are at the NA

but not being able to obtain them so far, hopefully his death certificate would suffice which it did.

He joined the Suffolk Yeomanry in 1913, and was given a commission in the infantry in September 1915 then went to France at the start of the Somme

advance. Lieutenant Suttle was wounded in an attack on the 18th August 1916 on the Somme receiving wounds in the right hand, wrist, right forearm, the

left leg and in the face, the right hand below the wrist was amputated at a clearing station in France. Although he was from Stowupland Nr Stowmarket

at the time of his death he was living in Cambridge and is buried in Histon Road Cemetery, thanks to Michael French of The Friends of Histon Road

Cemetery for locating his grave.

Regards

Ray

• 3 years later...

Good news after a three year wait we now have a temporary marker on the grave. Just need permission from Cambridge City Council to erect a headstone hopefully soon.

Ray

• 7 years later...

The process was not easy but after a persistent effort by the Friends of Histon Road Cemetery on friday 16.07.21 the CWGC placed a headstone on the grave of 2nd Lt Suttle so he now has an appropriate memorial.   Thanks to Ray Youngs for  identifying this as an unmarked grave and beginning the quest for a stone .

IMG_8285e2.jpg.35890a8c799dfd2a0c896e4c41f63df4.jpg

That's been quite a wait - Well done all.

RIP.

:-) M