Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 inch howitzer

Seany

Can anyone point me in the direction of the purpose of an axial vent on a 6inch howitzer and reasons, over use excepted, for their failure?

Additionally if axial vent 'broke' would the howitzer be out of action?

Could the vent be fitted by the gun crew or would the gun need to go to the workshop?

Many thanks.

The axial vent was where the ignition cartridge was inserted that, when fired, ignited the bag charge in the breech. The "Tube, percussion, Mark IV" was a typical army item. The naval ones for bagged charges were generally electrically ignited. I do not have any pictures of the percussioon version to hand, but I will post pictures and drawing later. Meanwhile, here is the official drawing of the electric version.

I think worn vents needed to be replaced at Base Workshops, but others may know more about that.

Regards

TonyE

Not sure about detail of 6" how but failure would would put the piece out of action. On more modern pieces the tube into which the ignitor was inserted was changeable and the task could be carried out in the gun line. If not removable I think the breech block would have to be changed a task for the corps ordnance workshop.

Old Tom

Not sure how a 'Vent, Axial could fail, its a hole (vent) drilled through the stem of and mushroomhead itself, and through the outer face of the breech block. At the outside end of the vent (ie the hole in the outside of the breechblock) is fitted with the 'Lock, Percussion' (or Lock, Electrical if you are naval or coast gunner) in a Carrier (IIRC) on second thought Slide, held the carrier because the slide enabled the Tube to be kept out of alignment with the Vent, Axial until the breech was closed.

The Tube is fitted into the Lock. I'd suggest that rather than a Vent, Axial failure it's more likely to be a Lock, Percussion failure. However, I think each gun had a spare Lock. There were a series of models of Locks, designated by letters I think. I also think some models were used by many different guns, and newer models were introduced. In WW2 there were both .5 inch and .303 inch Tubes, the latter replacing the former, which meant a new Lock was introduced. From this I'd assume .5 inch was the WW1 standard, but there may have been .303 as well.