Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nelson's History of the War 24 Volumes

Skipman

Almost the only John Buchan I don't own (bar The Law of Taxation in South Africa!) so thank you for posting this...

Thanks yet again Mike for trawling the depths of Internet Archive. At least I don't get stick for all the books I now have on disc the way I do about all the ones on my bookshelves both here and in France! :P

Jim

Are you making aspersions on my Sheffield roots Mike :P (any road wi dont use a t in Shefld - it wud b "aint intnet grand" or "a go to town on bus")

Jim

Are you making aspersions on my Sheffield roots Mike :P (any road wi dont use a t in Shefld - it wud b "aint intnet grand" or "a go to town on bus")

Jim

My roots are 'uddersfield, you're rate gud Jim

Cheers Mike

• 6 years later...

I have been unable to locate Vol 24 in this collection.  Unfortunately the link to Vol 24 in the opening post of this thread now produces an error on archive.org.  I have tried extensive online searches, both in archive.org and eIsewhere on the web, but I have had no luck obtaining a downloadable PDF copy of Vol 24.  There are plenty of Vol1 to Vol 23 inclusive, but no Vol 24!

Can anyone here, lucky enough to have downloaded all these volumes, kindly provide a PDF copy of Vol 24?  I am happy to receive it by email, or via a link to online storage (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox etc).  Many thanks!

TGM, I don't what to say!  A big thank you, of course, but I feel such a fool for not locating that version of Vol 24!

I kid you not, I methodically searched through the archive.org results, including those results from the Digital library of India (where your link points to), and I did not see any Vol 24.  Anyway, thanks to you, I now have it. Much appreciated!  :D

EDIT:  Aha, I think I can now see why I did not locate this version of Vol 24 in archive.org - it is listed as 'Victory' (the volume's title) rather than the 24th volume of 'Nelson's History of the War'.  ;)

Edited by Bernoullis

13 minutes ago, Bernoullis said:

TGM, I don't what to say!  A big thank you, of course, but I feel such a fool for not locating that version of Vol 24!

I kid you not, I methodically searched through the archive.org results, including those results from the Digital library of India (where your link points to), and I did not see any Vol 24.  Anyway, thanks to you, I now have it. Much appreciated!  :D

You're welcome. On another day you probably would have spotted it. 

They're not all described as they should.  I just limited to text and looked a little closer at the ones not fully described.

EDIT: I also focused on finding XXIV in the image...

Edited by TGM

16 minutes ago, Bernoullis said:

EDIT:  Aha, I think I can now see why I did not locate this version of Vol 24 in archive.org - it is listed as 'Victory' (the volume's title) rather than the 24th volume of 'Nelson's History of the War'.  ;)

If you have a login/registered there is an option to flag up/report problems on a record.

image.png.d838b158c58c998d9778565909ba7c09.png

Edited by TGM

9 minutes ago, TGM said:

If you have a login/registered there is an option to flag up/report problems on a record.

image.png.d838b158c58c998d9778565909ba7c09.png

I do have a login for archive.org, and considered what you are suggesting, but it seemed to me that I would get a much speedier response by trying a query here.  After all, the PDF I was after is specific to the subjects discussed on this very forum, whereas I could be waiting days or weeks for someone at archive.org to respond about one tiny littel PDF in amongt the hundreds of thousands that they host!  ;)

In any event, by examining the file name in the faulty weblink of the opening post above, it appears that the 'missing' Vol 24 is from the California Digital Library versions.

Edited by Bernoullis

Of course. Just thought it may be useful, when you have time, to flag up the issue in hope it may help other users not on this forum.

I have now notified archive.org of the broken link.  It will interesting to see if anything comes of it!  ;)

Edited by Bernoullis

5 hours ago, Skipman said:

I get the message  " The item is not available due to issues with the item's content."

What's that all about?

Mike

Mike, that is precisely what I got when I tried to download Vol 24, hence my posting here!  I don't think it actually refers to content in the document, it is just an errant message for a broken link.  As TGM has posted at #11, there is an alternative.  Unfortunately like so many documents from the Digital Indian Library, it is a poorer scan when compared to those from North American libraries, for example.  But I suppose we count our blessings in having avaialability of many of these documents at all, eh?

Just for anyone who doesn't  know if you scroll down and right click on "PDF" the "save link as" you can download the whole book and the text can be copied and pasted. Or,  the text is available also  for example, Volume 2

Mike