Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 15th Ludhiana Sikhs and the Senussi

bushfighter

Thanks, Harry. Very interesting. For some reason (connected with a question on the Forum, I think) I was reading the Royal Scots history of the campaign and Buchan's history of the SA Forces. A forgotten campaign, but an interesting one.

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Harry,

Sorry mate but this leds me nowhere?

only this came up?

"Hinweis

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

auf Grund von Wartungsarbeiten ist die gewünschte Homepage zur Zeit nicht erreichbar.

Wir bitten um Ihr Verständnis.

Ihre Telekom"

Can you give a simple way to find this site?

When writting my artical on this area I failed to find any ref's to the Sikhs, so I am very interested in this area.

The History of the Composite Australian Light Horse Regiment

By Steve Becker

Some where on this site?

Cheers

S.B

Steve

Regrets about that - the link works in Europe.

Search in Google for The soldier's burden and look for the sub-heading:

Soldiers of the First World War and Colonial wars. Their battles, their units, their awards and their suffering.

Then find Harry's Africa on the list on the left and look for the article.

The article mentions Australians quite favourably.

Harry

hi,

the link should work now, the site was down for an update.

just go to www.kaiserscross.com and see the wahts new section. Harry's update is the first article.

best

Chris

Thanks Harry, very interesting. Tough fighting and making camp in that terrain. Where were the dead buried? In Matruh, or back in Alexandria or Cairo? The track and telegraph line mentioned, did that become the 8th Army road in WW2? I followed that from Alex to Sollum in 2005.

Cheers

Shirley

Mate,

Thank you very much, it helps make some corrections, which now to late can be added to future requests.

What I did find interesting was this statement:

"The mounted column departed at 07.00 hrs on 11th December, but the cavalry moved so quickly that the scouts could not keep sufficiently ahead of the main body. Around 300 enemy were waiting to the north of the road in the Wadi (valley) Senab, and they successfully ambushed the cavalry. Attempts made to turn the enemy’s right flank were driven back by heavy fire, and a stalemate existed until a squadron of Australian Light Horse arrived from Matruh in the afternoon"

I was not aware that the Austraian Sqn (A Sqn Comp LHR) had arrived at the Column before the British counter attack, I thought it arrive either after or during that attack.

Cheers

S.B

Shirley

Greetings

If we take the example of the South African Lt A.J.H. Bliss, killed in action at Agagia on 26 February 1916, he was buried in the Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery.

Traditionally dead Sikh soldiers are cremated and commemorated on a memorial.

Sorry but I do not know the road or what happened to it in WW2.

Harry

Thanks Harry. I missed the tour round Alexandria War Cemetery, joining the party later. The Sikh memorial at Alamein was very impressive from memory.

Cheers

Shirley