Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed identifying uniform

Graham66

Hi can anyone help in identifying this uniform, poss taken in egypt, maybe Military police/Provost, perhaps, from what i've been led to believe, Liverpool, Royal Norfolks or Suffolk regt?

many thanks Graham

post-60361-043171300 1290982463.jpg

Nothing on the photograph to indicate any particular regiment or battalion.. He has a Corporal's chevrons and battalion diamond patch on his right sleeve.

Which would imply? sorry I'm not that familiar with uniform types/styles

Cheers Graham

Puttees appear to be wound top down.

What would the Battalion Diamond pacth indicate?

cheers Grahan

Nothing on the photograph to indicate any particular regiment or battalion.. He has a Corporal's chevrons and battalion diamond patch on his right sleeve.

Which would imply? sorry I'm not that familiar with uniform types/styles

Cheers Graham

Puttees wound from knee to ankle is usually the mark of a mounted soldier. However, I have to disagree with Piorun - the puttees look more like they are wound from ankle to knee (as worn by most ordinary soldiers), with the often seen "twists" shown at the front which was popular with some soldiers.

What would the Battalion Diamond pacth indicate?

cheers Grahan

Some Battalions wore a coloured patch to indicate which Brigade and Battalion they belonged to. Some used card suits: Spades, Clubs, Hearts and Diamonds and some geometric shapes: circle, square, triangle, diamond.

The shape would indicate the Brigade and the colour(s) the Battalion in most instances.

Without further information including the regiment your man belonged to it would not be possible to work out which particular battalion's diamond patch he is wearing.

As an example, both battalions, serving overseas, of the 18th battalion London Regiment, London Irish Rifles, wore a green diamond as a Brigade/Battalion patch but they were not in the same Brigade or Divison. The 1st Battalion was in France with 141 Brigade of the 47th Division and the 2nd Battalion in Palestine with 180 Brigade of the 60th Division.

Cheers squirrel, sorry I can't be of more help with the photo, it's the only photo of my Granddad and I'm struggling to get any info on that side of the family, but thanks for the wealth of info you've supplied, I'm a complete novice but hey we've all got to start somewhere.

Again many thanks Graham

Some Battalions wore a coloured patch to indicate which Brigade and Battalion they belonged to. Some used card suits: Spades, Clubs, Hearts and Diamonds and some geometric shapes: circle, square, triangle, diamond.

The shape would indicate the Brigade and the colour(s) the Battalion in most instances.

Without further information including the regiment your man belonged to it would not be possible to work out which particular battalion's diamond patch he is wearing.

As an example, both battalions, serving overseas, of the 18th battalion London Regiment, London Irish Rifles, wore a green diamond as a Brigade/Battalion patch but they were not in the same Brigade or Divison. The 1st Battalion was in France with 141 Brigade of the 47th Division and the 2nd Battalion in Palestine with 180 Brigade of the 60th Division.

Edward Cross, b1885 in woolpit suffolk, I've tried the avenues that I know about, but getting nowhere, any help would be wonderful,

cheers Graham

Graham,

you could be of more help by telling us yer Grandads name?

Jon