Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.H. Porter - 21st Light Railway

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All

Need your help

S.H. Porter was a Sapper attached to the 21st Light Railway, who died on 03 July 1917 in Belgium - I would like to know just 2 things:-

1. How he was connected to the village of Balby (Now part of Doncaster)

2. Where did the 21st Light Railway operate?

Thanks

John

He is 256280 Sidney H Porter.

I suspect he may be Sidney Herbert Porter, son of John Porter. Birth: 4 May 1895. Baptism: 30 Jun 1895 - Westminster, London.

If so, he may appear on the 1901 census, aged 5, living in Chorlton, Manchester, the son of a Railway Policeman.

I haven't got access to the 1911 census, but I can find a Sidney H Porter, aged 15 in Doncaster. There are also a John and Sarah of the correct age which appear to be on the same page.

Perhaps the father, John Porter, moved with his job? I also like the railway link.

(Why is this in maps?)

He is 256280 Sidney H Porter.

I suspect he may be Sidney Herbert Porter, son of John Porter. Birth: 4 May 1895. Baptism: 30 Jun 1895 - Westminster, London.

If so, he may appear on the 1901 census, aged 5, living in Chorlton, Manchester, the son of a Railway Policeman.

I haven't got access to the 1911 census, but I can find a Sidney H Porter, aged 15 in Doncaster. There are also a John and Sarah of the correct age which appear to be on the same page.

Perhaps the father, John Porter, moved with his job? I also like the railway link.

(Why is this in maps?)

Thanks for the information - the Porter family are well known in Balby but I couldn't find a birth for an SH Porter - now I know why - I put this post in the Map section - in case anyone knew where the 21st Light Railway ran from and too - bit of a long shot I guess, but as he was buried in Reningheist in Belgium I would expect to find him working on a railway in this area - but as yet I haven't a clue as to where.

Thanks again

Regards

John

I also found a 256286 (Very similar number!) Arthur Samuel Clapton who also enlisted at Doncaster. He was also 21st Light Railway Operating Company. He died a few months later 24/10/1917 and was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery which is very near to Reningheist.

Also 256732 JC Sherwood, 21st Light Railway, died 9/5/1917, also buried at Lijssenthoek, 256806 Fred Wells, 21st Light Railway, died 20/10/1917, buried at Reningheist and 238449 George Edward Epps, 21st Light Railway, died 28/5/1917, buried at Reningheist.

This could possibly indicate that they were operating South of Popheringe for most of 1917.

George Edward Johnston, of the 21st, was posthumously awarded the Albert Medal on 30/4/1918 for an incident at a refilling yard at Krombeke, which is North of Popheringe.

post-31274-067840700 1291294547.jpegHello I have attached a photograph from the Doncaster gazette 3rd Aug 1917 page 3 of Sapper S. Porter. It`s not of good quality but if you require a better one when I visit the archive "weather permiting"" I wil send you one plus any write up from the local press around the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information - will check when I am next in London - gives me a good place to start

Regards

John

I also found a 256286 (Very similar number!) Arthur Samuel Clapton who also enlisted at Doncaster. He was also 21st Light Railway Operating Company. He died a few months later 24/10/1917 and was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery which is very near to Reningheist.

Also 256732 JC Sherwood, 21st Light Railway, died 9/5/1917, also buried at Lijssenthoek, 256806 Fred Wells, 21st Light Railway, died 20/10/1917, buried at Reningheist and 238449 George Edward Epps, 21st Light Railway, died 28/5/1917, buried at Reningheist.

This could possibly indicate that they were operating South of Popheringe for most of 1917.

George Edward Johnston, of the 21st, was posthumously awarded the Albert Medal on 30/4/1918 for an incident at a refilling yard at Krombeke, which is North of Popheringe.