Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croix De Guerre - were they inscribed?

Gary Traynor

Hello all.........had to ask here as they have frozen my "Medals Forum" membership.

Can anybody please confirm for me if the French and Belgian Croix De Guerre medals awarded to Commonwealth and American Troops were inscribed / engraved with the recipient's name, by any government before being awarded???

Hi Gary:

I'm holding a French C De G in my hand. Looking at it I'm not sure where any engraving could be performed without destroying either the 1914-1918 in the reverse, or the Republic bust on the obverse. The arms of the cross have a pebbled finish and in theory could be smoothed to take an engraving, but even at that the area is very small and more than one arm would have to be altered.

The edge is too thin to take an engraving in my opinion.

My view, based only on observation (not on expertise), is that the French Croix de Guerre couldn't be engraved without partial destruction of the medal.

No doubt there'll be someone along shortly with evidence to the contrary! :glare:

They would only have been privately named, but as depaor01 says, where would the engraving go?

Gary I'm intrigued about your first statement even I survived for a short time!

Presumably you have an example , or have seen/heard of one being named??It would be intriguing to see it,if named/dated/etc; it would as stated previously be a privately done job,but with most things Medallic,never say never someone somewhere will have one!! :thumbsup:

Actually quite a lot can be engraved on a Croix de Guerre.

post-765-026771300 1290884492.jpg

Actually quite a lot can be engraved on a Croix de Guerre.

That is rather nicely done, but it's fortunate that the recipient wasn't A C T Winthrop-Hetherington of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ...

• 3 months later...

Thanks for that everybody..........and thank you rflory for that example. But obviously, this was privately engraved and NOT by any Government. I appreciate this confirmation.

Yours gratefully,

Gary Traynor