The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shell casing markings

robins2

post-55705-079305600 1290831330.jpgpost-55705-089943100 1290831242.jpg

anyone help ID markings on this item

Canadian 18 PR has C broad arrow 1917/ 28 5 17

do not know what LSH and S inside C are

shell casing modified into water bottle/oil bottle?????

The case markings are I believe: CF= Cordite Full Charge; LSH is I think the makers stamp; I'm not sure about the double C with the S, although I'm sure I've seen it on another thread. The Fuze is a No.88 Double Effect Time & Percussion fuze used with the 5", 6", 9.2" and 12" guns; see more here: http://www.passionco...tion_gb.html#88

Found some more info, the S in the double C is an inspection mark for testing for hardness with a scleroscope. The fuze and shell head, judging by the size is from a 5" (60pr) shrapnel round.

The case markings are I believe: CF= Cordite Full Charge; LSH is I think the makers stamp; I'm not sure about the double C with the S, although I'm sure I've seen it on another thread. The Fuze is a No.88 Double Effect Time & Percussion fuze used with the 5", 6", 9.2" and 12" guns; see more here: http://www.passionco...tion_gb.html#88

Found some more info, the S in the double C is an inspection mark for testing for hardness with a scleroscope. The fuze and shell head, judging by the size is from a 5" (60pr) shrapnel round.

thanks for your reply & information

I have not seen LSH on any other items, other than those from my former Regiment Lord Strathcona;s Horse (RC) prior to having Royal Canadian title added they were referred to as LSH (Boer War & WW1) so I was sort of hoping it refers to that??, no t holding my breath though, as stated the casing has been modified into a container (water/oil??) interesting piece.

Regards

Bob R.

Bob

LSH is almost certainly the manufacturers stamp, these cartridge cases where produced in their millions by many different manufacturers, and only had markings relating to their manufacture and propellent charge. They were collected after firing and returned to be reused if in good condition, so you will sometimes see cases with CFF, the additional F signifys I believe, that it has been reloaded.

Paul

Bob

LSH is almost certainly the manufacturers stamp, these cartridge cases where produced in their millions by many different manufacturers, and only had markings relating to their manufacture and propellent charge. They were collected after firing and returned to be reused if in good condition, so you will sometimes see cases with CFF, the additional F signifys I believe, that it has been reloaded.

Paul

thank you, I figured as much, will have to look for manufacturer

Regards

Bob

May I beg to differ with the previous posts. The "S within double C" is the monogram for the Canadian Cartridge Company who were by far the most prolific Canadian manufacturer of shell cases. After they made their first million cases they added the "S" in the centre, possibly to signify the second million. The mark for schleroscoping is just an "S" with a dot beside it.

The "LSH" is some form of lot or batch identifier, as these three letter groups can be found on many Canadian made cases. However, their exact meaning is not known at the moment.

Regards

TonyE

May I beg to differ with the previous posts. The "S within double C" is the monogram for the Canadian Cartridge Company who were by far the most prolific Canadian manufacturer of shell cases. After they made their first million cases they added the "S" in the centre, possibly to signify the second million. The mark for schleroscoping is just an "S" with a dot beside it.

The "LSH" is some form of lot or batch identifier, as these three letter groups can be found on many Canadian made cases. However, their exact meaning is not known at the moment.

Regards

TonyE

thank you for the info

Bob R.

Thanks for the correction Tony, my information came from a post in another thread.

Here's a another couple for comparison. Spot what is a bit unusual on one of them.

18prA.jpg

18prB.jpg

Thanks for the correction Tony, my information came from a post in another thread.

Here's a another couple for comparison. Spot what is a bit unusual on one of them.

18prA.jpg

18prB.jpg

Canadian primer, Brit shell??

Canadian primer, Brit shell??

Bob; you might be correct with that, but what I was referring to was that the 2nd case is unfired; the primer is intact. This presumably means that some enterprising local in France or Belgium, found a live 18pr cartridge, levered the shell off the case containing a big bundle of 93 year old cordite, to then sell the case for €10! :wacko:

Paul

Bob; you might be correct with that, but what I was referring to was that the 2nd case is unfired; the primer is intact. This presumably means that some enterprising local in France or Belgium, found a live 18pr cartridge, levered the shell off the case containing a big bundle of 93 year old cordite, to then sell the case for €10! :wacko:

Paul

yes I noticed that too, what I liked was the cute polar bear logo on primer with the standard C broad arrow

regards

Bob R.

Tony

Have you any idea whose monogram this? off an 18 Pr Cart Case.

John

post-1365-021955200 1291502551.jpg

It is The Gramophone Company of Hayes, Middlesex (later to become EMI) and represents a needle on a gramophone record.

Regards

TonyE

In the photographs in post 10, the top photo Cart Case manufactured by E.W. Bliss Company of Brooklyn, New York. The primer has 2 canadian acceptance stamps, and it has the monogram of Imperial Metals, the bottom cartridge case id manufactured by the Gramaphone Company (Thanks TonyE) with the primer made by Vickers, Sons & Maxim.

John

In the photographs in post 10, the top photo Cart Case manufactured by E.W. Bliss Company of Brooklyn, New York. The primer has 2 canadian acceptance stamps, and it has the monogram of Imperial Metals, the bottom cartridge case id manufactured by the Gramaphone Company (Thanks TonyE) with the primer made by Vickers, Sons & Maxim.

John

I was wondering where the E.W.B.C. case was made, so thanks for answering that John.

Do the 2 Canadian acceptanace stamps indicate that this case has been reloaded; as the case is 4/16 and the primer insert is marked 17, although you can't really see it in the photo.

The GC case is stamped 18 but the primer insert is 2/17, so the insert may have been reused; does anyone know what percentage of cases where reloaded?

Paul

We are talking about two distinct items on a cartridge case these being the cartridge case and the primer. First of all there is no length of life of 13 Pr, 18 Pr and 4.5 in cartridges it use to be limited to six fill rounds, but later life was determined by the thickness of the wall after repair at a fixed distance from the flange and not by the number of timed they bhave been fired.

The primer are a different matter, the Canadian Primer with two acceptance marks I can give no reason for this, perhaps the stamper was not satisfied with the first stamp, and the primer has not been refilled.

Withe second primer made by V.S.M. dated 2/17 and not struck. The primer has the marks associated with the use of Key No 27 to remove the primer in the case of a missfire (the gun carries 4 spare primers in the case if missfire occur)and a fresh primer is screwed into the cartridge case.

John

post-1365-047377100 1291724892.jpgpost-1365-029532900 1291724908.jpg

Here's a primer on this 18pr with an interesting manufacturers stamp!

Not sure if the logo is a Dog or a Bear, but "King Dick" has different connotations today. :lol:

post-59637-079685400 1291736206.jpg

King Dick were a well known tool maker, I still have a couple of their adjustable wrenches in my tool box. They were also quite a prolific munitions manufacturer in WWI.

Regards

TonyE

The king Dick figure is a "Bulldog" it was originaly "Abingdon Engineering" as TonyE said it was a armaments manufacturer in WW1. At that time the King Dick name and logo was adopted. It was that of the Company Owner's show winning bulldog, and was seen as being symbolic of British tenacity and strength.

John