Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N° 2 Squadron at the De Groote Boogaarde airfield

Jerrymurland

I've just come across the De Groote Boogaarde airfield at Koksijde (Coxyde) - As I understand it Number 2 Squadron RFC were based here at some point but that all I know. Do any of you RFC experts know about this airfield?

Jerry

This was a Belgian airfield named after a farm, should be able to find some information on this one, are you looking for anything specific ?

Jerry

Coxyde or Furnes was an Aviation Militaire Belge aerodrome and was never used by the RFC. You may be thinking of the AMB 2me Escadrille who were based here during 1915 and 1916. The Royal Naval Air Service were the only British units here. For us Brits the the spot is notable for two incidents. Rex Warneford of 1 Wing RNAS took off from here when he earned his VC for bringing down LZ37 and J A Liddell landed here badly wounded after the action for which he was awarded the VC. Also the great Australian ace Roderick Dallas scored a number of victories while flying from the aerodrome.

At the risk of self-publicity there is a section on Coxyde (inc map) in my book "Airfields and Airmen: The Channel Coast". I can also highly recommend "Above Flanders Fields" by Walter Pieters.

Regards

Mike

Mike

Thanks, I was wondering how to get in touch with you about this, I was on the point of ringing Dave Rowland to see if he had your contact details. Just spent a few days with Dave in the Le Cateau area looking at ploughed fields where he says there was an airfield! I guess I have you to blame for this! I'll get your BE Book for more info.

Jerry Murland

Nice one - thanks! Interesting site. It still amazes me the number of sites on the web that are associated with the Great War.

Jerry

• 2 years later...

Jerry I have only recently discovered GWF but have just seen your enquiry about Coxide or Furnes aerodrome.My grandfather Francis George Parker F2358 RNAS 1 SQDN was stationed here as Air Mechanic during 1916 till Jan 1917.I have several photos of the Abbey Farm Ten Bogaerde around which Furnes aerodrome evolved.I will attempt to get them posted on the forum.Amazingly the buildings are still there presume they have been restored and main abbey building now a restaurant.

Geoff

Have added photos to Members Gallery - will add a few here hopefully.

3 22 2013 5;08;13 PM

3 22 2013 5;41;59 PM

3 22 2013 5;08;02 PM

3 22 2013 5;05;47 PM

3 22 2013 5;08;17 PM

3 22 2013 5;08;42 PM