Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F.A.P. Brodie questions.

hadfield

Hi all,

In my collection, I have a Brodie helmet and painted on the front and rear are the letters F A P. The first question I have is, does this mean First Aid Party or First Aid Post? The second is regarding the colour, it appears to have been White (with a smooth finish) would this colour have been correct for its role or is it possible that it is a faded light khaki?

Regs

Brimstone.

I think the letters might be one of the various abbreviations used on civilian helmets in the Second World War.

I found a description of a second world war film held by the Yorkshire Film Archive, titled,

MORLEY DEPOT OF THE C.H.S.S & ST JOHNS AMBULANCE

The general description for the film says,

This film shows the various activities and training of the Morley Depot of the Central Hospital

Supply Service (C.H.S.S.), the St. John’s Ambulance and the Home Guard, and the visit of H.R.H.

The Princess Royal to Morley. Later in the film, there is assorted footage of various military and

civilian parades. Throughout, the film switches between black and white and colour footage.

One scene is described as:

Inter-title: ‘Casualty Headquarters. Commandant F.J.R. Batten. Practice in bandaging, while

standing to.’

Fully uniformed and helmeted men bandage the legs and body of a ‘casualty’ and lift him onto a

stretcher. One man wears a white helmet with the initials ‘F.A.P.’ stamped on it.

The next scene is inside a First Aid Post on Training Night.

I also found a description of how civilial casualties were dealth with, and this says,

The expected nature of air raids in the Second World War, led to the First World War trench-warfare style of triage being adopted for home use. First Aid parties would attend the scene of the destruction, where they would deal with minor injuries on the spot, prioritizing more serious injuries and sending them back to First Aid Posts, each with a doctor and trained nurses to treat the more serious injuries. Hope this helps.

So First Aid Post or First Aid Party looks right (My guess would be First Aid Party).

Tom

Can also be 'First Aid Party', this is a WW 2 civil defence unit, the helemt is likley WW II vintage and can be the lighter weight style with a more fluted shape and simplified liner. Usually can be had in abundance for 35 pounds or so.

Did you but this on Sunday at B@ham Militaria Show per chance? If so I believe it to be a WW1 helmet with a name to a London regt man clearly used in WW2.

If a different helmet ignore this.

TT