Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A late WW1 Iron Cross (EK2) ?

taylov

This weekend I found a file of original German award documents covering the period from the Great War to 1951. All were named to one man, Ludwig DANGERS.

One seemed unusual, a naval document for the award of a Second Class Iron Cross (EK2) issued by the Kommando der Marinestation der Nordsee at Wilhelmshaven on May 24, 1924.

I have attempted to show the details of the award document below.

post-43036-023929300 1290419572.jpg

This must, I assume, have been for a 1914 EK2, but under what circumstances could this medal have been awarded over 5 years after the end of WW1?

Tony

It is not an uncommon fact for very late war awards to be dated so, after the end of WW1

there were many nominations for awards that took years to get through the Post War red tape,

I have seen handwritten brevets for the award of the Iron Cross etc..etc.. dated in the 1920 +

periods.

Connaught Stranger.

It is not an uncommon fact for very late war awards to be dated so, after the end of WW1

there were many nominations for awards that took years to get through the Post War red tape,

I have seen handwritten brevets for the award of the Iron Cross etc..etc.. dated in the 1920 +

periods.

Connaught Stranger.

Thank you. I have come across references to the WW1 EK as having been issued from 1914 to 1924 but this is the first official documentation that I have seen to suggest an award in 1924.

Tony

The inscription reads:

Dem Artilleristenmaat der Reserve Dangers von der früheren Sperrfahrzeugdivision der Jade.

An Artilleristenmaat is a junior NCO grade of naval gunner, so:

Gunner Dangers, Naval Reserve, of the former Jade guard vessel division

The inscription reads:

Dem Artilleristenmaat der Reserve Dangers von der früheren Sperrfahrzeugdivision der Jade.

An Artilleristenmaat is a junior NCO grade of naval gunner, so:

Gunner Dangers, Naval Reserve, of the former Jade guard vessel division

Thanks SG,

I'd got the "Artilleri...." but was defeated by rest of the hand writing.

If I understand you, this is a medal left over from 1914-18 which was not awarded until 1924. Still, the post-WW2 UK Labour Government didn't get round to issuing medals for 3-4 years after hostilities ceased.

The award papers also include Dangers' WW1 "Hindenburg Cross" and several relating to the German Red Cross including one that bears the facsimile signature of "Herzog von Coburg" - a member of the British Royal Family - Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, grandson of Queen Victoria who was a high ranking member of the TR.

Tony