Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian or NZ

Pippa1

I was recently asked to comment on a photo of a soldier who supposedly served in the Geat War.

A new Zealander by birth, his family are wondering in whose army did he serve. The attached is the only photo they have of him in uniform.

Hi Bill

I can't see the photo!

Do the family know the name of their soldier?

Cheers, Frev

OOps

Wait out

post-21667-034920700 1290412577.jpg

Double Oops

Name was; Vernon Clifford WAY born 1897 New zealand lived Australia died 1927 NSW.

Regards

Bill

Bill

Looks like a Australian Army Citizens Military Force officers private purchase khaki wool gabardine service dress jacket to me. However I'll just go and have another scratch around..... :blush:

Wendy

G'day Bill,

No men with the surname Way Born in New Zealand on the Australian National Archives for WW1,

Cheers Clarke

I've just been reading genealogy.com forum where Colleen Way is discussing Vernon or Vernor Clifford WAY. I'm inclined to think Vernon did serve in the Australian Army but under another name, what was his mothers maiden name I wonder, I see her first name is Annie. Colleen mentions that the photo of Vernon was produced by University Studios, Carlton, Victoria. Would that be a strong indicator that he was with the Australian Army I wonder.

Why did he die so young, could he have come back from war with injuries that he later died of.

Wendy

Edit: Should have read 'produced by University Studios' NOT 'taken at University Studios'.

Wendy

I just sent off an email reequesting same data.

Will let you know when I get a reply.

Regards

Hi Bill (& Wendy)

Just been having a bit of a look at this too - seems the family moved around a bit - Sth Aust, NZ, Vic, NSW......

Don't have access to SA BDM records - but the following is some info I've gathered.

[Tried various combinations of names in the Nat Archives - but come up zilch so far]

Hope someone else has more success.

WAY, Vernor/Vernon Clifford – born 1897 NZ

The Argus, Sat 15 Jan 1921

WAY – CAMPBELL – On the 18th December, 1920, at the Church of Christ, St George’s road, North Fitzroy, by the Rev W.J. Way, Vernor Clifford, youngest son of Rev W.J. and Mrs Way, of 112 Glenlyon road, Brunswick, to Ada Brenda, only daughter of the late Mr C.T. and Mrs Campbell, of 502 Rathdown street, North Carlton.

Died Oct 1927

Buried Church of Christ Cemetery, Rookwood Tue 18/10/1927

He was a Brother of the William Gane Lodge No. 5, I.O.O.F. & the Lodge Bellevue Hill No408

His mother Annie Clarke WAY died 19/5/1927 Brunswick, age 65 – daughter of Josh Clarke CARVER & Margaret CHADWICK

Children (1928): Stanley, Hilda (Mrs Francis), Victor, and Vernor (dec)

His sister Hilda Clarke WAY (born Norwood, SA) married Alfred Ernest FRANCIS in 1911 in Vic

Hilda Clarke FRANCIS of Marrickville, NSW was the executrix of her father’s Will in Jan 1936 (died 1935) (William James WAY, Evangelist, late of Marrickville – son of John & Catherine)

His brother Stanley C Way married Daisy E Larcombe in 1914 Granville, NSW

Stanley Carver & Daisy Edith

Church of Christ

Born 14/12/1886 Goolwa, SA

Enl 18/4/1918, NSW, age 31 – Pte 66112, 4th Bn, AIF – Emb 4/9/18 – RTA 23/7/19

Died April 1934 NSW – buried Independent Cemetery, Rookwood

[son of Mr & Mrs W.J. Way, brother of Mrs A.E. Francis]

Cheers, Frev

PS - I've seen many 'studio' photos with 'props' before - but nothing quite elaborate as above!!

Looks more like a photo in camp to me - especially since he appears to be standing on dirt.

Can't help with the uniform - though it looks Aussie - would be good to see a close up of hat & collar badges.

If Vernon was born in the October of 1897 as suggested here http://genforum.genealogy.com/australia/messages/75555.html

and war was declared in the August of 1914, Vernon would have been 16 years and 10 months old at the outbreak of war. To young to enlist, so possibly enlisted under another name and that would account for no military records in his name.

If he is 18 years old in the photo as suggested, the photo would have been taken in later part of 1915 or 1916. If he waited until he was 18 years old I'm surprised that there is no military record to be found. That suggests to me that Vernon possibly wanted the great adventure before he was of age to enlist.

Could Vernon be attending OTC, he is wearing an officers Sam Browne Belt.

Wendy

Frev, Wendy

I have been revisiting this photo for some time.

From your comments and a bit of 'local' knowledge, I am inclined to come down on the side of being an OTU candidate.

CMF or possibly at a University Regiment.

Note he is warning boots (shiny)

Also his jacket is an Officer Pattern, but it has no Rising Suns, on the collar, but he does have tabs on his collar they look like the white tabs that Officer Cadets wear. I thought he may have been a Staff Officer, when I first saw the tabs, but Staff officer Tabs are Red. And at 18 he looks a bit young to be a Staff Officer.

I have emailed the requester asking if Vernon was attending University at or about the time.

Regards

Remember Australia had compulsory military service (Universal Service Scheme) in the period 1911 to 1929 (though not for service outside Australia). From the AWM site:

The legislation provided for three levels of training: boys 12–14 years old had to enrol in the junior cadets, 14–18 year olds enrolled in the senior cadets, and 18–26 year olds had to register with the home defence militia, the Commonwealth Military Forces.

I wonder if this is a senior cadet photograph. Perhaps a dreaded "Cadet Under Officer" (CUO) of later years or even worse an "Officer of Cadets" (who were in the main teachers)* ?

*Some never realised their actual position in the pecking order of the Army.........

On behalf of the WAY family, thank you for your input.

This weekend they (the WAY's) are holding a family reunion.

At last count your input looks like being the major topic of conversation.

Kindest Regards