Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Cap Badge

high wood

I couldn't resist buying this rather well struck East Surrey Regiment cap badge in white metal at the boot sale this morning; well I had to buy something having got up so early. Surely It cannot be right though.

According to Doyle and Foster, the badge of the East Surreys was bimetal, featuring the arms of Guildford (star, castle and lion), and then three tiny salmon on the central turret from the arms of Kingston-Upon-Thames.

An all-brass economy strike of the badge was issued in 1916.

Yours could thus have been a post-1916 issue.

Bruce

Plain WM Badges of Line Regiments are often pre 1908 Volunteer Battalions/Militia Bns;Though most have a small plaque with "*VB" on it..?

Plain WM Badges of Line Regiments are often pre 1908 Volunteer Battalions/Militia Bns;Though most have a small plaque with "*VB" on it..?

Both the 2nd & 4th East Surrey's VB's had a scroll under the shield. Militia is still a possibility, although the officers' badge features reversed metals so maybe the OR's followed, I've never seen one though. A 'walking out' badge is another option, I have an all nickel WW1 pattern Queen's which I've been told is such although it's not plated and the shank which is copper. The Regimental Band or Police is another possibility.

I think the RF badge is fine although has the look of excavation about it. Sharp blades are normal but I have a rounded end WW1 Queen's (again!) made by Gaunt. WW2 bakelite badges had rounded ends, once the holes are made in the headress it doesn't matter what shape the ends are.

Sorry, but I might just spoil your party. I think it is a re-strike/ copy, made for the collector's market.

The regimental badge was issued as a two-piece badge (gilding metal and white metal). I have collected insignia for over 40 years and don't recall having seen a white metal badge like this. The slider isn't crimped as expected. I would suggest submitting it to the British and Commonwealth Badge Forum for their opinion. There has been much discussion there of spurious all white metal badges.

Stephen.

PS- Treat all 'other rank' badges marked 'JR Gaunt' with suspicion. Gaunt made them in the 1970's/80's deliberatley for the collector's market due to the shortage of real badges.

No mention of a white metal East Surrey Regiment badge in Kipling & King.

Is the badge "Chrome" plated?????? I have a vague recollection that ATS Girls wore "chromed" badges of units they were attached to during the Second World War.

Please see the attached photo showing an ATS Corporal wearing a Middlesex Regiment Collar Badge.

Sepoy

post-55476-013394800 1290465386.jpg