Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reunited Memorial Plaque! KIA July 1, 1916

David_Bluestein

A public thanks to Ian Bowbrick for assisting me in reuniting the Memorial Plaque to Thomas Blackburn (see below). It was very satisfying to finally put the medals with the Plaque! (note, BWM is erased)

26/54 Pte. Thomas Blackburn

26th (Tyneside Irish) Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers

Killed in the attack south of La Boisselle, July 1, 1916

Little is known about Pte. Blackburn except above. He is commemorated on the

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL for the missing.

post-23-1087431916.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

David,

I now have his MIC. Unfortunately his record has not survived but according to the History of the Tyneside Irish, Thomas Blackburn was in 'B' Company.

He was also certainly killed by machine gun fire as the Tyneside Irish advanced from the Tara-Usna Line down the slopes of the Avoca Valley. The German machine gunners defending La Boisselle merely raised their sights and fired. They couldn't miss. The 3rd Tyneside Irish were on the left and were decimated. Only 50 of 3,000 men that set out made it to the German trenches.

Ian

What a way to die!? Terrible stuff.

Thanks for the added info, all is gratefully received. Does the MIC give Thomas Blackburn's full medal entitlement? What I'm after is if he is or isn't entitled to a 1914-15 Star.

Best wishes

David

Well done Ian and David. Ian, I am quite sure that David and I will be happy to form an overseas chapter of the Ian Bowbrick Fan Club.