Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any one recognise the uniforms?

kenmorrison

post-43652-078618600 1290009630.jpg

I'm trying to identify the location of the attached photo which appears to be the aftermath of a War Memorial dedication.

Any one recognise the uniforms of the two men in the bottom left?

Although there is a Scottish Flag in the bunting on the left, I'm not sure that this is in the UK

Any help would be welcome.

Ken

ps the full image is at http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5913.html

Ken, on the larger photo, to the the left of the memorial is a shop window with some writing upon it. Do you know what's written ?

Regards

Chris

I think they're policemen of some sort? Plus there's a Boy Scout in the foreground.

post-43652-078618600 1290009630.jpg

I'm trying to identify the location of the attached photo which appears to be the aftermath of a War Memorial dedication.

Any one recognise the uniforms of the two men in the bottom left?

Although there is a Scottish Flag in the bunting on the left, I'm not sure that this is in the UK

Any help would be welcome.

Ken

ps the full image is at http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5913.html

I think it might be the Irish Free State.

Ken, on the larger photo, to the the left of the memorial is a shop window with some writing upon it. Do you know what's written ?

Regards

Chris

Above the shop front it reads "Ladies and Gentlemens Outfitters" but the other text is unreadable.

I have consulted a historical clothing expert and it was her opinion that if this scene is in the UK the clothing styles would indicate a date before WW1 - hence my question about the location.

The flag on the next section of bunting might be Canadian Red ensign but ?????

As to the men in uniform being policemen, I wondered about that. In fact it bothers me that there is a lack of uniforms in the crowd for a War Memorial dedication.

Ken

p.s. why the Irish Free State? and what's a torrie?

I think it might be the Irish Free State.

With a Union jack hanging from one of the lamp posts (in the full sized photo) - never!

whoops I just saw where your original posting came from,

but I notice a celtic cross in the enlarged photograph too !

Julian - no worries. That was my thinking too, but I originally posted the photo on the Scottish War Memorials Project site and the people there are usually pretty good at identifying War Memorials in Scotland - but no luck.

I was hoping that the distinctive "button" (or what ever it is) on the caps of the uniformed men might be identifiable to a particular Regiment.

Thanks anyway (and to everyone else who has replied)

Ken

I'd wondered about the date too - it looking more Edwardian than post war. Perhaps the Celtic Cross is a bit of a red herring and its not a war memorial. Perhaps the scene is something like the G V coronation celebrations?

what's a torrie?

Ken, its the liitle pom pom usually found on a Glengarry or a Tam 'O' Shanter . I'm not saying they are torrie's they jusy reminded me of them .

Any chance of posting a larger full version of the image ?

Regards

Chris

But it is likely to be later than Jan 1908 as there were no scout troops in Scotland before then!

Have you considered submitting the photo to the Police Insignia Collectors Association for them to try and identify the 'policemen'. I'm not a member but have friend who is if you are ok with me copying the picture to him.

Stephen.

Have you considered submitting the photo to the Police Insignia Collectors Association for them to try and identify the 'policemen'. I'm not a member but have friend who is if you are ok with me copying the picture to him.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, please do.

Ken

I wonder if it is maybe a photo taken at the time of a Royal Visit or to celebrate the Coronation in 1911. The crowd seem well dressed and generally very happy looking, so does not seem to be a group at an unveiling of a War Memorial.

post-55705-044022800 1290239289.jpg

borrowed this card from friend (police collector UK)

Unknown Police on parade, note top of hats, similar to your post

I wonder if it is maybe a photo taken at the time of a Royal Visit or to celebrate the Coronation in 1911. The crowd seem well dressed and generally very happy looking, so does not seem to be a group at an unveiling of a War Memorial.

As I've already suggested in post 12!

Ken,

Your picture will appear in the Police Memorabilia Collectors Club magazine on 3rd December. Somebody there might recognise the uniform if it is indeed Police.

Stephen.

Just some observations,

Judging by the women's fashions I'd reckon that photograph was taken pre-1918, if that is any help.

Also there seems to be a distinct lack of electricity poles/wires which were common by 1918, There only seems to be wires going to the chimney of the 'domed' building.

If it was a post WW1 commeration event I'd expect to see a lot of civvies wearing medals.

Then again I could be completely wrong.

Regards

C.T.