Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Penal Battalion

PhilB

The book "Shot at Dawn" lists 11 men of the Slavo-British Penal Battalion executed in North Russia in July 1919. The men all appear to have non-British surnames. This is the only instance I have come across of a penal battalion in British service. Does anyone have any info? Phil B

Phil, would it be too much trouble to add the names to this thread?

I can't say I know anything about penal battalions.

Peter (Slavo surname) in Vancouver

Peter the attachements on this and my next post are the relevant pages from 'Shot at Dawn'

Dave

Next Page

Phil

There's an account of the 7 July 1919 mutiny by troops from the 3rd Company, 1st Battalion, Slavo-British Legion, plus the Machine Gun Company of the 4th North Russian Regiment, in 'The Day We Almost Bombed Moscow' by Chrisopher Dobson and John Miller, ISBN 0 340 33723 0.

The mutineers murdered four British and four Russian officers, as well as wounding others, before themselves being overcome by gunfire from boats in the nearby Dvina River and the 46th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers. Some 200 mutineers managed to escape and join the Bolshevik forces.

Witnessed by 1200 men from the Slavo-British Legion and British troops, twelve mutineers were shot by their own machine gunners at 2000 on 17 July. The gunners were issued with only 5 rounds per gun, so as to minimise casualties should they decide to turn the guns on the British or loyal troops. In the event, the gunners didn't shoot all the mutineers and the condemned men had to be despatched by officers with pistols.

A further 6 mutineers were to be shot on 18 July, but were reprieved.

Gareth

Dave, thanks for those pages. Some of the names look slightly "anglicized" to me. That's all right.

Peter

Phil

'The Day We Almost Bombed Moscow' doesn't have any mention of the unit as a Penal Battalion. According to the authors, the unit was formed from Russian soldiers, some of whom were pro-Bolshevik - a factor which eventually resulted in the mutiny - and both Russian and British officers. The original commander was a Canadian ex-ranker named Captain Dyer, who had been awarded the DCM and MM. His men worshipped him and the unit was known as 'Dyer's Battalion' even after the CO died (from influenza, in 'The Day . . . Moscow' or in combat on the Dvina Front in 'Allied Intervention in Russia' by John Swettenham). The Battalion's next CO was a Lt Col Wells, who is shown as the commander in November 1918 in 'Stamping Out the Virus' by Perry Moore, ISBN 0 7643 1625 7.

I can't find (A/Lt Col?) Dyer in the CWGC database of those who died in 1918, either as a Canadian or as a Royal Fusilier [the Australians who left the AIF to go to North Russia joined the Royal Fusiliers, so I presume that a Canadian who didn't go with a Canadian unit might have done the same].

Like everything associated with the campaign, it's all rather confusing.

I hope this helps (but I won't be surprised if it doesn't).

Gareth

Guest Pete Wood

There were German Penal battlions in WW2. I don't know if the criteria was the same as WW1, but the German units contained men who were under the sentence of death, mainly for crime and political belief.

The German penal Battalions were often given suicide missions, and were led by officers who had not committed any unlawful acts.

It was possible for a soldier, in such a unit, to 'earn' the right to return to their original unit.

Gareth, I found our man:

Name: DYER Initials: R C

Nationality: Canadian Rank: Captain

Regiment: Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regt.) Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/12/1918

Awards: DCM, MM and Bar

Additional information: Order of St. George 4th Class (Russia).

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 6. Cemetery: ARCHANGEL ALLIED CEMETERY

In NAC, I find Royce Coleman Dyer, a 25 year old butcher, enlisted September 1914 into the the 8th Btn. A born leader, standing 5'5".

• 3 weeks later...

Dyer was a former student of a small boarding school in the Province of Quebec, Stanstead College, and is mentioned on their web site among other former students killed in the war. I have several questions about him, and posted them on the "Soldiers" board link.

• 2 months later...

Gents,

I just finished writing an 8 page article (in French, sorry!) on Captain Dyer, for a local Historical society, called "Heritage Sutton". Apart from my search at the NAC, I had the chance to interview his half-sister, a beautiful 93 years old lady! Here is a little bit more information on Captain Dyer and the Penal Battalions:

Royce Coleman Dyer was the adopted son of 5-times Sutton-Quebec mayor, Leon Dyer. Royce kept his original family name as middle name: Coleman. Also, he was raised catholic, even if the family was anglican. Royce had recently moved in Western Canada and that's how he got with the 8th - "Black Devils" in August 1914.

He was with the "C" coy during 2nd Ypres and was slightly wounded by gas. Received twice the M.M. for bravery under fire, delivering messages for the 2nd Brigade CEF during the fighting around Courcelette in Fall 1916 (Hessian and Zollern Graben trenches). Was Corporal of the Guides and Messengers with the 2nd. His younger brother, Charles was killed near Vimy in the winter of 1917, weeks after arriving at the front with the Royal Montreal Regiment.

Dyer was made Sergeant when he joined the ELOPE force going to Russia in June 1918. He suffered from Influenza on the ship but recovered. He received the DCM for "his leadership and fine use of his Lewis gun, successfully engaging heavy machine guns" during the landing on Onega. General Ironside gave him a commission to raise a battalion from prisoners (Bolsheviks who were happy to be well-fed, dressed, paid and armed). Dyer was a fine type and very much liked by his men. The initiative was going so well, that a second battalion was raised.

However, while he was traveling between two villages in Northern Russia, he fell asleep. The pneumonia that ensued was fatal. He died December 30, 1918.

With no C.O., the training of the Dyer battalion was slowed down. In fact, the second battalion was the first to be ordered to the front. At that time, the Russian soldiers refused to leave the barracks. H.M.G. surrounded the compound and after an ultimatum expired, the shouting started. The barracks were made of extra-thick wood and .303 bullets didn't do much damage, until mortars started flying! Then eveyone got out. Since all refused to give away the leaders of the mutiny, 1 man out of 10 was pulled away to be shot. Then, tongues got a little looser. The leaders were judged promptly (if at all) and shot.

The Dyer battalion actually got to the front... and then mutinied (they had learned the lesson...), killing all officers, including Captain Brown (who replaced Dyer), an Aussie, who killed 6 men before being murdered.

Confusing times indeed! Dyer was a fearless man, like all rugged Suttonites, QC!

Juice

Juice

Thank you very much for the photo and the most interesting history of the man behind the battalion's name. He must have had an inspiring presence!

Cheers

Gareth

Yes Juice, ditto to what Gareth says above. How lucky to have interviewed his sister!

Who can you get to write the screenplay? :)

Juice, thanks ever so much for posting the information about Captain Dyer! :)

I had been interested in him since coming across his name on the Stanstead College website. What threw me was his being attested in Valcartier (always a problem with those original forms) and thinking he was still living in Quebec.

Dyer seems to have been a bit of an adventurer who found his calling in the army. A very interesting person indeed.

Do you have the dates when he received the Military Medal and Bar? I was unable to find the announcements in the London Gazette most likely due to the problems with the Optical Character Reader software.

Juice, are you responsible for the Sutton Memorials held on-line with the National Inventory of Memorials? This is a wonderful effort to document the men of Sutton who served in the war. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the link.

The official version of the origins of Dwyer's Regiment (to be found in TNA at WO 158/725 - Onega operations: Origin, formation and mutiny of the 1st Battalion, Slavo British Legion (Dwyers Battalion)) is

'The origin of the 1st BSL was the desire to make use of the material which, in Nov 18, was lying idle in the prisons at Archangel. Large numbers of young men were at this time in prison without having committed what would be regarded as a crime in ordinary times,even in Russia.'

Not quite the gallows fodder implied by 'Penal Battalion'

After the troubles the 1st and 2nd Battalions were disbanded and the bulk of them formed into the 1st Slavo-British Legion Labour Battalion, commanded by Lt Col William Morrison DSO, MC, DCM Gordons - a Cpl with 1 Gordons at the outbreak of war.

Jock

Chris,

London Gazette: 29780 & 29873 for his Military Medal and Bar. I crossed the information with the war diaries, Paul Reed "Courcelette" book, Gary Sheffield "The Somme" book, operation files of the 2nd Brigade and the Honors & Awards of the 2nd Brigade (RG9-III-volume 4691 folder 48 file 18) which simply stated: "bravely accomplished his duty and multiple services in the delivery of messages".

DCM: Got the information from the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

National Inventory of Memorials: I had no idea about the NIM at all and will look it up! Thanks for the information. :D

Juice

P.S. Here is another picture of Captain Dyer, entitled "Me and my Servant, December 1st, 1918.

Thanks for your reply, Juice, and the other photo.

Do you know if his medals remained in the family or did they end up in the care of the town of Sutton?

Chris,

R.C. Dyer's DCM and Order of St-George (4th class) were sent by the Adjudant-General to his sister Jessie Dyer, who lived in Berkeley, California, January 15th, 1920. As for his M.M. and Bar, I do not know. I will question the family. (His G.G. niece lives in front of my mother's house!)

The Victory Medal and British War Medal of his younger brother, Charles, who died near Vimy in early 1917 are on display at the Sutton, Quebec Legion #158, along other Veterans medals. Some of them are British immigrants, who moved to Canada in the 1920's. Their 1914-15 Stars are witnesses of their early service in the war. I actually visited the resting place of all Sutton men who died in combat (15 in France and Belgium) except R.C. Dyer, who is buried in Archangel, Russia.

I am going to Sutton tomorrow and will try to visit the churches where the different cenotaphs are on display. I had never attended a service at the United, Anglican, Baptist or Methodist churches before, so I did not know of these memorials. Thanks again for the tip. I needed a guy from Trois-Rivieres to teach me about my own little hometown! :D

Juice

I needed a guy from Trois-Rivieres to teach me about my own little hometown!

:D

Thanks for the information about Capt. Dyers's medals - good to know the Veterans' medals have found a safe home.

I've only been in Sutton once, mid 90s, with some friends. Being a railway enthousiast, I wanted to see where the former junction was with the Canadian Pacific line to Drummondville and was disappointed to see all traces had vanished. I remember thinking what a nice friendly place it was. Visited the General Store where I picked up some candied ginger then to a Chocolatier who made fine Belgian chocolate. I must visit there again!

I hope you enjoy your visit to the churches today. :)

• 5 years later...
Gents,

I just finished writing an 8 page article (in French, sorry!) on Captain Dyer, for a local Historical society, called "Heritage Sutton". Apart from my search at the NAC, I had the chance to interview his half-sister, a beautiful 93 years old lady! Here is a little bit more information on Captain Dyer and the Penal Battalions:

Royce Coleman Dyer was the adopted son of 5-times Sutton-Quebec mayor, Leon Dyer. Royce kept his original family name as middle name: Coleman. Also, he was raised catholic, even if the family was anglican. Royce had recently moved in Western Canada and that's how he got with the 8th - "Black Devils" in August 1914.

He was with the "C" coy during 2nd Ypres and was slightly wounded by gas. Received twice the M.M. for bravery under fire, delivering messages for the 2nd Brigade CEF during the fighting around Courcelette in Fall 1916 (Hessian and Zollern Graben trenches). Was Corporal of the Guides and Messengers with the 2nd. His younger brother, Charles was killed near Vimy in the winter of 1917, weeks after arriving at the front with the Royal Montreal Regiment.

Dyer was made Sergeant when he joined the ELOPE force going to Russia in June 1918. He suffered from Influenza on the ship but recovered. He received the DCM for "his leadership and fine use of his Lewis gun, successfully engaging heavy machine guns" during the landing on Onega. General Ironside gave him a commission to raise a battalion from prisoners (Bolsheviks who were happy to be well-fed, dressed, paid and armed). Dyer was a fine type and very much liked by his men. The initiative was going so well, that a second battalion was raised.

However, while he was traveling between two villages in Northern Russia, he fell asleep. The pneumonia that ensued was fatal. He died December 30, 1918.

With no C.O., the training of the Dyer battalion was slowed down. In fact, the second battalion was the first to be ordered to the front. At that time, the Russian soldiers refused to leave the barracks. H.M.G. surrounded the compound and after an ultimatum expired, the shouting started. The barracks were made of extra-thick wood and .303 bullets didn't do much damage, until mortars started flying! Then eveyone got out. Since all refused to give away the leaders of the mutiny, 1 man out of 10 was pulled away to be shot. Then, tongues got a little looser. The leaders were judged promptly (if at all) and shot.

The Dyer battalion actually got to the front... and then mutinied (they had learned the lesson...), killing all officers, including Captain Brown (who replaced Dyer), an Aussie, who killed 6 men before being murdered.

Confusing times indeed! Dyer was a fearless man, like all rugged Suttonites, QC!

Juice

My godmother lives in the UK and asked me to look into her grandfather Royce Coleman Dyer. He married in January 1915 in London and his daughter was my godmother' grandmother. I was wondering if you had further information you could share that I could pass on to her. She has no living relatives and is now trying to find out about her past.

Many thanks,

G. Auston

• 2 years later...

The joys of old threads.

There is a very graphic account of the executions as witnessed by Ira Jones (RAF) in "An Air Fighter's Scrap Book" p138

July 20 I have tonight seen something I never want to witness again..... and he goes on to record the execution scene in some detail.

Anyway the reason I found the thread was that there were 2 Battalions of SBL and I am researching Major Frederick Lindsay Hamilton MC - click for my notes on him - who was apparently 2nd in command of 2nd Battalion Slavo British Legion(Burke's). I am having difficulty getting much on Hamilton in Russia, can anyone help, either on Hamilton or the movements of 2 SBL