Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Impressing medals

DCLI

My grandfather's medals were stolen some years ago. I know where they are but cannot get hold of them. Ce'st la vie.

I have since bought an unamed original MM. 1914/1915 Star, BWM and a very expertley erased VM.

I recent wrote to the Medals Office asking if they could impress them, adding the ® for replacement. They replied that they not longer do this for medals issued before 1936.

They suggested I look in 'Soldier', check with the Royal British Legion, Yellow Pages etc.

Can anyone direct me to someone who can impress in the contemporary style of the day, as opposed to them being engraved. I am happy to have an ® impressed to.

Thank you.

As an avid medal collector, this is something I don't personally agree with.

HOWEVER, to answer the question, I really don't know. The medals were impressed using a machine (so they could churn them out quicker) and I don't know if they are still around.

Your best bet may be a jeweller of some note. They may be able to do it, or know somebody who may. If they are family medals and you have the 'R' impressed, then why not.

Cheers Andy.

As an avid medal collector, this is something I don't personally agree with.

HOWEVER, to answer the question, I really don't know. The medals were impressed using a machine (so they could churn them out quicker) and I don't know if they are still around.

Your best bet may be a jeweller of some note. They may be able to do it, or know somebody who may. If they are family medals and you have the 'R' impressed, then why not.

Cheers Andy.

Thank you.

I am not trying to 'create' a group, which could be mistaken for the originals.

Thank you.

I am not trying to 'create' a group, which could be mistaken for the originals.

I know a master engraver who I'm sure would do the job. He has a variety of tools that do this sort of thing. If interested PM me with an e-mail address or telephone number. I can put you in touch.

John

The Royal Mint at Llantrisant impress modern day medals. They may only do the work for government departments but worth a telephone call to see if they will do a "one off". Spinks may also do it.

You could try worcestershire medals or bigbury mint or such like. Just like you I found a pair (mounted) that had been erased at some point and am happy to leave it at that until I find my ancestors original medals.

Andy