Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Potyze - Cemetery

zijde26

To All,

A great number of the ww 1 military French cemeteries in Belgium are either regrouped or repatriated in the early years 1920 after the first world war.

Some cemeteries of the Ypres Salient are regrouped in the until now existing ‘ Potyze ‘ - cemetery at Ypres.

Are they listed ?

Are these regrouped cemeteries somewhere on a list ?

Where ?

Has anyone knowledge of a publication (history) on this ‘ Potyze ‘ – cemetery?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt :(

Hi,

I think that if you go a french site you might find something,

try searching for 'Le Premier Guerre de Mondial' (I think thats the correct spelling, not done much french this year!) (just turned reound and there is one of my dictionaries so yes the spelling is correct)

Hope its of use for you.

Mandy

Hi,

I think that if you go a french site you might find something,

try searching for 'Le Premier Guerre de Mondial' (I think thats the correct spelling, not done much french this year!) (just turned reound and there is one of my dictionaries so yes the spelling is correct)

Take that dictionary back to the shop for a refund! It's "La Premiere Guerre Mondiale."

Tom

Tom,

Sorry only checked my spelling for Guerre and Mondial, today i realised i had got the the other bits wrong.

Mandy

No need for apologies Mandy - I guessed it was something like that. My post was intended to be just a bit of fun. Sorry if it didn't read like that.

Tom

Tom

it's ok, northern humour can get around so no offence taken but if you look i also miss spelt another word

can you find it?

Mandy

Hi Gilbert,

Alex Deseyne who now runs the Raverside domain(atlantic wall) did write a book about the cemetery and the French involvement in the 1st and 2nd battle of Ypres. I remember reading it quite some years ago. I am also looking for a copy now. If I find I will let you know more.

Koyli

Hi,

found the book.

It's called "De vergeten oorlog 1914-15" and written as I said before by A.DESEYNE. The book dates from 1983.

Koyli

To All,

Thanks for the postings.

To Koyli,

Thanks for that information. Do you have any idea where that said book "De vergeten oorlog 1914-15", written by A.Deseyne could be available. Do you know the editor and/or the ISBN number.

Some weeks ago I got a postcard surprisingly showing a french (transferred probably to the Potyze) cemetery,

Apparently there is until november 2004 in Raversijde an exhibition of traces of the first world war. I hope to see it after the holiday period.

Gilbert Deraedt :(

Hello Gilbert,

Aleks Deseyne is the editor himself. No IDSN number though. I found a copy at the library in Ieper. If you can't find a copy in the near future I can get some photocopies to you if you want. The book is based on letters from Frenchmen who wrote to the Town council at Zonnebeke asking for information on the graves of their loved ones. The information on the cemetery is about 13 (A4) pages.

Koyli.

Hello KOYLI,

Like Gilbert and I are busy with the same project, I'll try to find it too. So, thanks for the reply!!

Joris

To Koyli,

Thanks for the answering.

Does this book ("De vergeten oorlog 1914-15", written by A.Deseyne)

also give information about cleared ww1 french cemeteries (Reningelst).

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt