Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service of Remembrance at Ramleh

michaeldr

There was a very good attendance, both by the diplomatic community and by the public at large, on an unseasonably bright and scorching hot morning at Ramleh CWGC Cemetery, where the British Ambassador H.E. Mr. Matthew Gould MBE, hosted the annual Service of Remembrance and Dedication. The service was led by the Rev. Samuel Fanous of the Emmanuel Anglican Episcopal Church, Ramleh.

RamlehService8-1.jpg

A Bugler and a Piper from the Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming were in attendance.

RamlehService2.jpg

After the Last Post, Two Minutes Silence and Rouse, the Piper played Flowers of the Forest, his closing bars fading into the distance, as he slowly marched away across the cemetery. A Guard of Honour was provided by the Israeli Defence Force.

The wreath laying was in the charge of the British Defence Attaché, assisted by the Naval and the Air Attaché. The diplomatic corps was well represented,

RamlehService3.jpg

and after their Excellencies it was then the turn of the veterans; including AJEX

RamlehService4.jpg

and the association of Royal Navy Veterans in Israel.

RamlehService5.jpg

After the wreaths were all in place there were further prayers said in Hebrew by a Chaplain from the Israel Defence Force and in English and Italian by Father Abdel Masih Fahim of the Convento S. Nicademo.

RamlehService7.jpg

Remembered with respect

Thanks for posting these pictures, Michael.

It's interesting to see how commemorations are conducted in other places.

LST_164

Fantastic pictures Michael, and many thanks for posting them.

Did you happen to notice whether there were any headstones commemorating the fallen from 1/1 Queens Own Dorset Yeomanry? As I am sure you know, they were in Ramleh on 15 November, 1917.

Incidentally I have found a number of picture postcards of places such as Jerusalem, Jericho and Beirut in the course of going through a recently discovered suitcase of photographs. They would have been taken around 1917 - 1919. If anyone is interested in seeing them do get in touch.

John

LST_164,

Many thanks for your comments; the wreaths here tend to be very colourful don't they

... ... ... ... ... ...

Did you happen to notice whether there were any headstones commemorating the fallen from 1/1 Queens Own Dorset Yeomanry?

John,

I am sorry but I did not. Which is not to say that there aren't any of course; Ramleh is a huge cemetery which was open continuously from 1917, all the way through until 1948. If you find something specific which you think that I can help you with, then by all means let me know.

I would love to see the postcards which you have just found, you lucky man

regards

Michael

• 2 months later...

Fantastic pictures Michael, and many thanks for posting them.

Did you happen to notice whether there were any headstones commemorating the fallen from 1/1 Queens Own Dorset Yeomanry? As I am sure you know, they were in Ramleh on 15 November, 1917.

Incidentally I have found a number of picture postcards of places such as Jerusalem, Jericho and Beirut in the course of going through a recently discovered suitcase of photographs. They would have been taken around 1917 - 1919. If anyone is interested in seeing them do get in touch.

John

Hi John,

If possible could I get a look at the postcards, I also have quite a reasonable collection cards from the area that my grandfather either send or brought back and it would be nice to compare them? Some of them are part of a set of British Official Photographs which includes at least one where my grandfather is in the background according to the notes he wrote on the back. I am in the process of scanning and transcribing the notes from the back of all of the collection to go with his personal diaries for 1916,1917 & 1918 which I have just spent the last year writing up.

Martin