Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench maps

Marco

Being under the influence of the flue and having recently bought the IWM / Naval Press Trench map CDROM I’m trying to remember if there was/is a second product like this from an other publisher?

Also, has someone with time on his hands ever thought about making the information on this CD like trench names, camp names etc searchable by putting them in Word, Access or Excel? I know I would pay money for that.

Regards,

Marco

Aren't they working on a CD-ROM with German trench maps?

Putting all the names in a file would be a very difficult job... I made an index once of the places that were mentioned in RFC Communiqués 1917. Unfortunately I somehow lost the file...

Isn't there some kind of index of place names/trenches/camps/etc of British trench maps? I guess the High Command must have had something like this?

Jan

Hello Jan,

Yes, I heard/read about the German CDROM on this forum. I have vague memories about reading something about a searchable map CD, but I can also be mistaken with the French IGN blue series on CD. Too bad you lost the file, those type of things make for interesting databases. I know I make great use of the Stand To! Excel index someone (Chris?) made. There must be more interesting stuff like this out there. Don't mistake me for a free-loader though :D As said I would be more that happy to pay for something interesting and I trust I'm 'doing my bit' with The Silent Cities on our website. 160 cemeteries to go, health and work permitting done in 2004/2005. And then I need to find an other excuse to visit the former front....

Marco

...As said I would be more that happy to pay for something interesting and I trust I'm 'doing my bit' with The Silent Cities on our website. 160 cemeteries to go, health and work permitting done in 2004/2005. And then I need to find an other excuse to visit the former front....

Just an idea: there are also Belgian, German and French (and a few other) cemeteries on the Western Front and hundreds of private memorials, unit memorials and communal memorials... (Just in case you wouldn't know what to do ;) )

Jan

Barry Cuttell's two books on the Somme contain many of the trench names, but I am not sure if it is all of them - he also gives the modern IGN map ref for the trenches.

Wasn't Chris working on a database of camps behind the Salient?

Somebody else sent me a flyer about a trench maps CD for use in schools. I shall rummage about in the chaos of my office for it tomorrow.

Marco.

Following Paul's comments about Barry Cuttell's books on the Somme. They are a definate must for anyone who is interested in maps and the like. :rolleyes:

Martin :)

'Captured WW1 German Trench and Operations Maps' is available on CD-Rom from Naval and Military Press - same price as the original 'Trench Map Project'.

Regards - Sue

Marco,

I just remembered. Trench names are normally not that difficult to find, most of the names start with the letter of the map quadrant.

Jan