Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 pair--Soldier's number conundrum?

20th Division

Help please. My great Uncle died in the Palestine campaign. I do not have his medals, but I do have his service records and a copy of his medal record card. Both these documents give three different regimental nubers ( before he saw action he was moved about 3 times in three weeks!!). I ve been searching for his medals for about ten years now via medal locator sites and ads in "Medal news"------but which number will appear on his medals? Will each medal have a different nuber on? ( if so then which of the three numbers will be on each one of the two medals?). This information would of course be vital if I am to continue placing ads. His information is as follows.

Pt. Walter Leonard SEALEY. Enlisted Nov 1915 with service number 4064 ( London reg't embodied Territorial force).

posted to 3/10th London Reg't. Nov 1915

attached to 1/2 Btn July 1916

To 2/23rd London Regt. when embarked for France 13 July 1916.

transferred to 1/2nd London Regt 24 July 1916

transferred to 2/23rd London Regt. 31 July 1916.

remained in 2/23rd londons until he died of wounds in Nov 1917 ( via france/ salonica and palestine)

His service papers state " 703623 formerly 4064, 7581. Pt. Walter Leonard Sealey. The London regiment."

His medal record card state ---in top Right hand corner 7581 and under this 703623.

Thanks for any help you are able to give a "confused pal"-------------Dave.

• Admin

See http://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering.htm

The medals would be inscribed with the 6 Digit number as above to 23 London R as shown on mic

Suggest second 4 digit number 7581 issued when he went to France, and transferred therefore did not qualify for medal with 4064 number (I've not looked).

In any event had he retained original 4 digit number that too would have been changed in 1917

Ken

Dave,

I have a number of medals to the London Regiment to soldiers who signed up before the reallocation of service numbers (six digits) and these medals show the four digit number, therefore, his medals should have the service number of 4064, as this was his first. He is buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery and probably suffered those wounds around Beersheba.

Your Great Uncle served in my beloved 60th London Division. He stomped the same dirt as my Great Grand Pa (see signature).

Cheers Andy.

I have a number of medals to the London Regiment to soldiers who signed up before the reallocation of service numbers (six digits) and these medals show the four digit number, therefore, his medals should have the service number of 4064, as this was his first.

I beg to differ on one point, both medals should be impressed with the details that he earnt the entitlement with. In this instance the number on both medals should be 7581, as issued by the 23rd Londons when he he proceeded overseas.

Regards

Steve

• Admin

Dave,

I have a number of medals to the London Regiment to soldiers who signed up before the reallocation of service numbers (six digits) and these medals show the four digit number, therefore, his medals should have the service number of 4064, as this was his first. He is buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery and probably suffered those wounds around Beersheba.

Cheers Andy.

I won't argue with the physical evidence but having had an opportunity to look at the service record the receipt for the medals shows they were issued to the four digit number shown on the mic

i.e.' 23/Lon/400

7581'

The receipt states ' granted in respect of the service of no 7581 Pte W.L. Sealey 23 Londons;' His six digit number is noted on top left corner of the receipt so you're right as far as the four digit number.

This number was allocated on transfer to 23rd London Regiment as it's shown against that Regiment on one form , but whether it was allocated on his first transfer on arrival in France is not clear but on Army form B103 the newe number and posting seem to be by the same pen.

Can we agree on 7581 for the inscription?

Incidentally fascinating correspondence as the medals were sent to the wrong brother!

Ken

Now having a look at the service records 7581 it is. I assumed that he embarked while still holding the original service number.

Cheers Andy.

Haven't seen his medals, but will keep looking. He was part of a batch of around 40 10th London men who transferred into 2/23rd just before they went overseas. He never served overseas with any other battalion so his medals get the 4 digit 23rd London number.

Do you happen to have a photo of Walter that you could share? I'm creating a database of all 23rd London men.

Best regards,

Matthew

Thanks all of you for your advice----are we all agreed it is 7581 that should appear on his medals.?

I had sent westkent a lot of photos, last year , taken in the Palestine campaign---by 2/22nd Londons I believe----but same brigade. I don't have a photo I'm afraid!!!! Thanks for offering to look out for his missing medals. I have walter's service records-seems he fell out with his family at some point and designated another brother as his "next of kin"-( not his parents or his elder brother, who was my Grandad.) His medals were sent to his eldest brothers house for some reason ---and NOT to his next of kin brother!-who caused a fuss -----------they were eventually passed on to his brother-but my Grandad kept his Plaque ! ( which I now have)-----wonder what his brother did with the medaLs!! hope they get on to the market some time!! Family politics eh????

Thanks again for the info-------I will now advertise again with the correct 4 digit number--and hope! DAVE.