Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Price of this Trio

TEW

Could any medal experts please have a LOOK AT THIS LINK and tell me if this trio (War, Vict, MSM) is priced too high, low or just right at £992 converted from USD. He is a Canadian with the 5th Canadian Field Ambulance.

The reason I'm asking is because I am aware of correspondence from this recipient back to his family in England as they used to live not far from me. Last year I was given a bag of letters etc and sifted through them all and there were at least a dozen WWI items ranging from his enlistment in Canada, training in Canada, one relating the ship voyage in April 1915 and as far as I can remember a few relating to his death in Oct 1918. The included one here from Canadian Record Office is one example but I think there is one from the CO and maybe two from his peers, all sent to his family in Devon. There is also long photo of the 5th CFA in Exhibition Park Toronto, undated but must be Jan-April 1915.

I have no idea who's selling the trio but if it is family then I assume the letters etc are of no interest (if they're selling his medals). I'm also slightly reluctant to mention his name or number in text here in case this is noticed by the sellers and the price is affected.

Thanks

TEW

post-34209-058050200 1289417847.jpg

Could any medal experts please have a LOOK AT THIS LINK and tell me if this trio (War, Vict, MSM) is priced too high, low or just right at £992 converted from USD. He is a Canadian with the 5th Canadian Field Ambulance.

The reason I'm asking is because I am aware of correspondence from this recipient back to his family in England as they used to live not far from me. Last year I was given a bag of letters etc and sifted through them all and there were at least a dozen WWI items ranging from his enlistment in Canada, training in Canada, one relating the ship voyage in April 1915 and as far as I can remember a few relating to his death in Oct 1918. The included one here from Canadian Record Office is one example but I think there is one from the CO and maybe two from his peers, all sent to his family in Devon. There is also long photo of the 5th CFA in Exhibition Park Toronto, undated but must be Jan-April 1915.

I have no idea who's selling the trio but if it is family then I assume the letters etc are of no interest (if they're selling his medals). I'm also slightly reluctant to mention his name or number in text here in case this is noticed by the sellers and the price is affected.

Thanks

TEW

post-34209-058050200 1289417847.jpg

Hi TEW,

Well, where to start? Basically the group appears to be far too expensive--but it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and on that basis I am afraid that you will have to make up your own mind.

If it helps, I would expect a similar group to a British Army recipient to fetch circa £450 to £550, that is taking into account the fact that he was a fatal casualty and belonged to a Corps rather than an infantry regiment. The latter would most probably attract a higher premium, dependant upon with which regiment the recipient had served. I'm afraid that the fact that he was also serving with a Canadian unit will probably add a further premium to the price.

Good luck, Robert

PS I do not claim to be an expert on such matters, but only wish to put forward my opinion for your consideration.

Hi

Even if the MSM was an immediate gallantry award I would expect this group to fetch in the $900 if it came up on e-bay? I wonder if he was entitled to a Star? Its a nice group but corps groups usually don't reach anywhere near battalion groups.

Don

Thanks for that. Seems a little overpriced then!

As far as the Star is concerned, he arrived in UK in April 1915 and didn't go to France until the summer? Beyond the cut off point I guess.

He and his MSM are mentioned in the 5th CFA war diary. He got this for continued long term 'bringing in & treating wounded' not for one single act.

Beyond my bank balance anyway!!

Thanks Again

TEW

TEW,

If this was a UK unit, it would be less than half the asking price. I guess it all depends on the rarity of the unit, and as has been said, the fact that it is a Corps will not help. Interestingly I live not too far from Kingsbridge; I wonder if he is named on the War Memorial there as an ex local?

Regards

Steve

As far as the Star is concerned, he arrived in UK in April 1915 and didn't go to France until the summer? Beyond the cut off point I guess.

Summer of 1915? The 1914/15 Star covered the 5th August 1914 to 31st December 1915 (excluding those already entitled to the 1914 Star). Sounds like he should be entitled.

It is an interesting group and in nice condition. It is to a Canadian unit and as already mentioned that will attract a premium amongst some collectors.

Overall though I agree with most posts it is too expensive which is a shame taking into account the original posters collection of documents/ letters etc.

I'd have thought that £600 would be the absolute maximum.

Andrew

It appears the 5th CFA arrived in France in September 1915 and I have no reason to believe that the recipient did not travel with the rest of the unit. He was almost 25 at this stage so it looks as if there's a medal missing. I'll trawl through the diaries to see if he is mentioned as a late arrival. Canadian diaries seem very detailed with regards to names.

Spotter

Would be interested if he was on the Kingsbridge memorial.

Thanks all

Regards

TEW