Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

YOUNGEST DCM RECIPIENT

petestarling

Does anyone know who the youngest recipient of the DCM was? James Sweeney was 18 years 11 months when awarded a DCM in September 1915. Was he the youngest?

Pete Starling

Hi Pete

John Auguste Pouchot was awarded the DCM in July 1915 when he was just about 16. There is more about him on my website about Fenny stratford in the Great War, (FSITGW) the address for which is below. His story was also told in a book about Boy Soldiers, but its name escapes me at the moment!

Regards

IanC

I'm away from home at the moment, but there is a 1917 DCM recipient born on Anglesey who was later killed at Third Ypres, I think. His native village's war memorial gives his age as 16, CWGC as 17.

I'll look him and the citation up when I'm back tomorrow!

LST_164

Pete,

Back now. The soldier I had in mind was Private (L/Cpl.) 302534 John Jones, 2/8th Manchester Regt.

Born at Gwalchmai, Anglesey. Resident at the other end of Wales in Hengoed, Cardiff when he enlisted at Merthyr Tydfil. Died of Wounds 13 October 1917, buried Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinghe, Belgium.

Gwalchmai War Memorial gives a home address "Cerrig y Druidion" and age 16. CWGC states 17, presumably supplied by the family. Under-age, at any rate. His MIC just has the BWM/Vic pair with 6-figure number, suggesting he landed in his first theatre of war after January 1917.

Details courtesy of member Lyndon : DCM L.Gazette 17 April 1918 - For Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. he volunteered to swim across a river to obtain information, and although he encountered an enemy patrol and working party, he succesfully returned with information required.

I did supply this info (except the citation etc.) to Richard van Emden while he was researching his volume, but it wasn't included in the text.

LST_164